Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2013 17:00

RecoverPoint vRpa 4.0 Supported Cluster Comms?

Hi All,

Can some please clarify what cluster comms are currently supported for vRPA 4.0?  ( vRPA Cluster < > vRPA Cluster )

Some docs & slides say IP only & others say IP/FC as forRPA?

If FC is not currently supported between vRPA's Clusters is it on the roadmap? As we have existing FC extension setup!

Thanks in advance.

Russell

1.1K Posts

October 15th, 2013 01:00

Hi Russell.

I see. So the question is, can the replication mode be FC between the vRPA's? Actually the same restriction applies. In terms of when this will change, this is dependent on a change within ESXi to facilitate this and at this time that commitment is not clear. This is why sync over IP is also supported from version 4.

Regards,

Richard

1.1K Posts

October 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi Russell,

The vRPA does not support FC. This is because the ESXi code does not support FC communication to (target) and from (initiator) the vRPA. Only iSCSI supports this on ESXi so all communication between the VNX array is over iSCSI.

Regards,

Richard

12 Posts

October 14th, 2013 18:00

Hi Richard,

I have updated my question as it was a big ambiguous and now hopefully reads a little better :-)

I understand iSCSI is the Splitter comms from VNX array to vRPA's so have spec'd 2 * 10GB iSCSI SLICS for array.

What I was trying to ask was the vRPA Cluster to Cluster comms & whether FC was on the roadmap for vRPA (IP) as with physical RPA (IP/FC).

(The key reason for asking is we already have FC extension between sites in place & to leverage FC Security/Encryption vs IP)

Cheers & Thanks again for your great responses.

Russell

12 Posts

October 15th, 2013 14:00

Hi Richard,

Cheers for quick reply.

Interesting, so it really does sit with ESXi as I suspected... so no roadmap for FC vRPA cluster comms!

This could possibly make things interesting for other EMC vNNN implementations that are in the pipeline, that is existing physical implementations that use FC for comms going virtual in near future :-).

Regards & thanks again.

Russell

No Events found!