Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2012 02:00

Using recoverpoint for bookmarking

Am attempting to use Recoverpoint SE for taking point-in-time copes of data, but am having problems with consolidation rules.

Basically, if I run out of logfile space, the bookmark is deleted, even if I specify "never consolidate". If I make the bookmark available as an image on the secondary site, once the log files are filled up, the replication is halted and data is no longer shipped to the second site.

Is there a way of assuring that the bookmark is not deleted before I have finished with it? Or a way of erroring / pausing transfer when a log file limit is reached?

I am only trying to keep a bookmark in case of rollback, but if I can't guarantee the bookmark will stay until I have finished with it, I can't sell this to the customer. Do I need to look at full copies rather than log replay, to be assured of the copy being available?

Share and Enjoy! Ian

29 Posts

March 26th, 2012 12:00

Hi Ian,

what you are describing is correct. contrary to backup solutions, RecoverPoint takes continuous snapshots and stores them on the journal. as these snapshots are only deltas from the previous moment, they are useless unless you have a base image to start with, which is the image on the target LUN.

as that base image keeps changing (to keep it consistent with the source), older snapshots must cleared to make room for new ones. this applies to any snapshot, eventually - even consolidated ones (though these will last much longer).

There are tools TCs have access to, to help you asses the journal needed based on the activity you want to do. also, most customers who need longer access periods (or more intensive writes) on the target, usually go to image access, take a clone of the target and resume distribution, and then do the processing on the clone.

hope that helps,

Ehud

No Events found!