Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2015 08:00

ESRS not support on Win 2012 R2

Hi all, the ESRS software is not supported on WIndows 2012 R2. I notice there's ESRS Virtual Appliance version 3 and seem to the the software EMC is moving for ESRS.

Should we forgo the Win 2012 r2 and use the virtual appliance ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi,

If you want install new ESRS infrastructure, you must install the ESRS VE (ovf or vhd) based on virtual appliance

The package install the Operating System (LINUX) and ESRS application.

If you already have ESRS infra in 2.X and you want upgrade the Windows in 2012 R2, I think you must plan a migration to ESRS VE 3.04

12 Posts

Thanks.. because we have a new data centre setup and the design was that we would have a physical machine installed with WIndows 2012 R2 which will have ESRS ver 2.x installed.

Today we realise that ESRS is not supported on the Windows 2012 R2 and i was told by the EMC engineer to downgrade. After some research, I come across this ESRS VE and was wondering that if there will be more new version for the Windows edition ?

56 Posts

In regards to your statement; If you are referring to the ESRS Gateway version 2.28, The ESRSV3 would be most preferred  you can view the video https://community.emc.com/videos/25394  it does require a VMware or Hyper-V environment where the self contained ESRSV3 will reside in.  also review the documentation at https://Support.emc.com/products/37716_EMC-Secure-Remote-Services-Virtual-Edition

The Gateway version 2.28  may have  some maintenance updates and there is talk that this would be the last version and that Vitualization is the latest that is being moving toward.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 31st, 2015 06:00

In general, are you going to continue develop/offer ESRS for Windows machines or is the goal to sunset Windows support and offer VE only solution  (or device embedded ESRS client) ?

69 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 12:00

If you have a physical Windows server, you can deploy ESRS v3.x as a Hyper V on the Windows box. I'm not aware of any plans to make ESRS compatible with Windows machines in a different way. The plan is absolutely to move toward ESRS v3.x. As EMC releases new products, they will not be backwards compatible with ESRS v2.x.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 17:00

how about policy manager ? Going VE anytime soon ?

69 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 06:00

Short answer is no, but all of us here agree that it needs some attention in the future. Ideally everything gets consolidated into one appliance. One key issue is that the Policy Manager is an EMC-built tool and ESRS is built around 3rd party technology, so challenges with integration.

August 20th, 2015 08:00

Benjamin

We're running 2.08.10.0 on win2003R2  VM guests for our two VMAX 20k and 40k units.

Our admins keen to move off the older o/s so would the ESRS VE 3 be the way to go ...?

I like the idea of amalgamting the G and P functions .. we have two physically separate Gs and two Ps as originally the

hardware was in two DCs on a campus location , but now under one roof.

Can we trial our new ESRSVE 3 alongside our live stuff ?

thanks John

No Events found!