Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2015 09:00

EMC/SMARTS Server Manager - SNMP polling

Apologies but I am a bit of a newbie looking for a little clarification on some technical points, I have read some of the documentation but have been unable to find the right detail.

I am looking to use ESM to manage the hardware & application processes on some HP standalone servers and in particular which SNMP MIBs are required to achieve each goal, the EMC documentation states that ESM will integrate with the the "HP management framework" and cites the HOST-RESOURCES-MIB and also COMPAQ-MIB but I would like to confirm for both the Hardware (power supply, fan etc.) monitoring which SNMP MIBs are required for integration with ESM and likewise for Application process monitoring which MIBs are required on the HP server to determine if a process or number of processes are running.

Apologies if there is not enough detail here to answer this, if not please ask and I will add more.

thanks, Mark.

53 Posts

January 20th, 2015 13:00

Mark,

If I understand your question correctly, you are correct,  Smarts ESM 9.3 and previous documentation states that ESM utilizes the HOST-RESOURCES-MIB as well as the COMPAQ-MIB to integrate with HP Servers with HP Systems Insight Manager agent.

The Compaq MIB is used for- Processor, Physical Memory, Virtual Memory and Filesystem

The Host-Resources-MIB is used for- Disks

The Following Network Objects are used.

Processor-                 Events= HighUtilization        

Physical Memory-      Evens= InsufficientFreeMemory

Virtual Memory-         Events= InsufficientFreeMemory

Disk-                           Events= OperationallyDown

Filesystem-                 Events= HighUtlization / LowSpaceAvailable

MemoryGroup            Events= InsufficentFreeMemory

ProcessorGroup         Events= HighUtilization

You can verify this on Page 196 Table 130 of the ESM User and Config Guide.

As for Application Process monitoring it is handled either by snmp or WMI.

22 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 01:00

Hi, that information was useful thanks, I have the 9.3 ESM doc and am working through that. One other point to clarify is what actually the COMPAQ-MIB is? my undrestanding is it's a suite of MIBs that are installed during the HP-SIM agent  installation and contains such mibs as cpqrack.mib, cpqhost.mib etc. etc.

thanks, Mark.

53 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 11:00

Mark, I'm glad the information was useful for you.  Regarding your Last question "to clarify what actually the Compaq-MIB is?"  Do you mean one MIB in particular or the all of the Compaq MIBS, yes the cpqrack and cpqhost.mibs are part of the Compaq MIBs,  there are many of them.  If that is what you mean, then yes you are correct.

22 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 05:00

I was trying to understand if this COMPAQ-MIB referred to in the docs is a further MIB that needs to be installed on the HP server in order for ESM to monitor the processor, memory & filesystems OR is it the case that this MIB(s) are installed when the HP-SIM Agent is installed on the server.

Also, if by installing HP-SIM on the server, all the MIBs ESM requires to monitor the server processor, memory & filesystems are installed, is it easy to identify which are the specific MIBs ESM would query for each of the above?

Mark.

53 Posts

February 4th, 2015 08:00

May I ask why you're not utilizing IP for processor, memory and the file system.  If you are running IP 9.2 or later upon discovering this host, you can use the built in oid viewer to see all of the oids Smarts is using for the Compaq-MIB.  That would be my suggestion.

22 Posts

February 4th, 2015 09:00

Apologies we do not have the system in production as yet so this is some pre-work i am undertaking. If I were to assume that all the required MIBs would be available to ESM if I were to load the HP SIM agent onto the hosts - would that be a reasonable assumption.

Thanks, Mark.

53 Posts

February 6th, 2015 11:00

Mark,

If the agent has been installed/setup correctly, you would be able to use any of the MIBs available based on the IP certification for that host.

No Events found!