Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2012 06:00

Global Console connectivity to SAM

Hello all, I am new to this community and indeed SMARTS, my background is Netcool & I am awaiting the SMARTS training so please forgive any poor questions. Whilst I await my training I am trying to build a small environment but am having a few problems - I think the issue is connectivity related as my environment is fairly locked down.

I have installed the SAM suite onto a Solaris 10 environment and managed to get the Broker running on port 80 (I have chosen port 80 because I know I can connect to port 80 from the Windows host on which I have installed the Console - tested this by spoofing from the Windows host and I get some HTML returned from the far end, this I am taking as the firewalls have let my connection through - unfortunately these are the only environments I have)

I have started "ic-sam-server" and can see that this is registered as INCHARGE-SA with the broker (./brcontrol)

On my windows host I start the console and ammend the Broker port to suit, in the Manager dropdown it then populates with "INCHARGE-SA" so I am guessing it has discovered that from the broker - for the uid/pwd I have tried both blank but also the default "admin/changeme".

All I seem to get is an error stating the console cannot connect to the Global Manager - see the error below.

incharge-sa.jpg

thanks for any assistance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 9th, 2012 07:00

For SAM the command line should look like:

./sm_server --name=ic-sam-server --config=ics --port=22 --ignore-restore-errors --output

The config is looked up in conf/

If the config is in a directory tree separate from the install tree, you can use SM_WRITEABLE.

Note that the SMARTS software expects that tree to be similar in structure to what you find in the local subtree of the install area.

36 Posts

November 9th, 2012 06:00

You need to be able to access not only the broker port but also to the port that SAM server (INCHARGE-SA) is running.

- I'd first try without changing any defaults, leave broker at default port, etc.

- use tools running on the smarts server to verify everything is working, then try accessing from another machine so that you know smarts is working first.

- run SAM server on a fixed port (-port switch). By default, SAM server would start on a random port. You can specify a port and then make necessary firewall changes to make sure you can access that port.

Hope this helps,

Berkay Mollamustafaoglu

http://www.opsgenie.com

mberkay on yahoo, google and skype

berkay on linkedin, twitter

36 Posts

Well to try anything you'll need ssh so I wouldn't mess with that

You can ssh to the server and use tools like brcontrol and dmctl

brcontrol command should show whether SAM server registered with the broker or not.

dmctl command is essentially like a command like console, you can connect to the server and see contents.

Again, I would not mess with the ports till I know everything is working first. You're increasing the variables which makes it harder to find out what the problem may be. First make sure it all works from the server which would not require any ports to be opened.

you can connect to the server using (assuming SAM is registered in the broker)

dmctl -s INCHARGE-SA

You should take a look at other docs like admin guide, user guide etc.

Also, just FYI, SAM server by itself would not do much. You'd need something like either AM server (that does polling) or OI server + trap adapter to feed events (notifications in Smarts lingo) to it. You should plan for all the ports you'll need.

Hope this helps,

Berkay Mollamustafaoglu

http://www.opsgenie.com

mberkay on yahoo, google and skype

berkay on linkedin, twitter

22 Posts

I agree with what you are saying re the ports but once I start taking the wrapping off a present I cannot stop anyway thanks to your the tips (njsf | Berkay) I know have connectivity from the Console to the SAM (over port 22), I am also having to run the Broker on port 80 for the same connectivity reasons but I will address these issues later as well as others I will need for the next stage.

My end game or next stage is to receive & process SNMP & SYSLOG alerts, for this I can see from the command below I will probably have to start some of these below - is anything else required?

# ./sm_service show

NOT RUNNING ic-sam-server

NOT RUNNING ic-syslog-adapter

NOT RUNNING ic-icoi-server

NOT RUNNING ic-trapd-receiver

RUNNING ic-broker

As I have said in my first port I am from a Netcool environment and have a huge SNMP rulesfile (MIB integrations) that I will need to convert to something that SMART can interpret, I think I have approx 400+ diferent vendors/MIBS so will be looking to write some conversion code or re-use somebody elses - I have downloaded some SW from this site which eludes to doing that role (not looked yet) - does anyone have any experience of this process - I cannot be the first to run away from IBM

thanks for your help, Mark.

22 Posts

Hi Berkay, firtsly thanks for the prompt response - can you expand on which smart server tools you are referring to or an EMC document that can help, I am working with the "EMC SAM 8.0 Installation guide".

You are right in that the SAM is running on a random port, I have tried a different port using the command below:-

./sm_server --name=ic-sam-server --config=/apps/InCharge/SAM/smarts/conf/serverhealth --port=22 --ignore-restore-errors --output

When checking the logfile I can see that the SAM did not start, it is complaining that it cannot find the 'bootstrap.conf' file, I have tried playing with the --config paramemeter of the startup command above pointing it to a directory where I can see there is such a valid file but it still complains - I cannot leave out the --config parameter.

** I know port 22 is the default SSH port but it is the only hole I have thru my firewall, I have requested some new ports but these will take some time, I am trying workarounds for now.

Mark.

No Events found!