Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2012 16:00

Emailxtender: Error adding volume 20051110162828 to Lost and Found, Error: 203

Hi

We have Emailxtender in read mode now for 18 months and using Sourceone. There is no more activity on emailxtender

I noticed a constant repeat of the following message in the event viewer and I cannot figure out what it is.

There is no folder in the lost+found.

What would cause this error?

Is there a way to clear it/fix it?

Thanks

600 Posts

August 15th, 2012 18:00

Greetings,

What appears to be happening that when EmailXtender services came online after a restart they found a EMX file for which it could not see entries at its desired location (Registry key in earlier EX builds and entry within FolderPlan table of EmailXtender Database in the recent builds). In this case the volume is meant to be added to Lost&found section of the EmailXtender so that admin could add the volume back into the system. To perform this operation EmailXtender needed existence of following registry key on the EX server

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\OTG\EmailXtender\Lost&Found\Default\

At some sites we found that the Default key under Lost&Found goes missing (mostly because someone exported the entries below it and deleted the key). If that is the case in your environment go ahead, create the key and restart EmailXtender services. If you still encounter the error messages please let us know.

Thanks,

Rajan

29 Posts

Thanks Rajan

The key is there but there is no value set for it.

Should it be set to 1?

Thanks

600 Posts

Here is the screenshot from a test machine:

Do you have this key ?

Regards.

Rajan

1 Attachment

600 Posts

August 15th, 2012 19:00

Hello again,

The new errors you saw will depend on if you have connection mailbox added or not. Once SourceOne is introduced to the environment most of the time connection mailbox is removed to make sure even by mistake EX do not start pulling emails from this mailbox (usually journal mailbox).

Error messages means that EX was unable to talk to Exchange/notes server to refresh EmailXtender.DLC (Dictribution list cache) file. Connection mailbox is needed to create this file. When you restart services or server then for services to initialise they try to talk to mail servers. If connection mailbox is not present that is not going to hapen.

As you mentioned your server is in read only mode, if no new emails are being ingested into the system then these could be ignored. If you check OTG even log you should have seen similar error messages ever 24 hours in past (unless services were restarted in that time frame).

Thanks,

Rajan

29 Posts

Thanks Rajan for the clarifications.

All good then

29 Posts

Yes I have the key.

I have rebooted the server one more time, and this time the error is gone.

I noticed 2 new one, not sure if it is normal:

“Creation of the distribution list cache or rules failed” and “Policy engine failed to initialize”

No Events found!