Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 08:00

Migrate EmailXtender Data or Virtualize?

I am in need of some assistance with my Source One/EmailXtender implementation.

My current setup is as follows:

• Source One Version: 6.8.0.4127, installed on a physical Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server, DiskXtender Version 6.50.440, Service Pack 3, reads to and from local Centera, which is replicated to remote Centera
  • EmailXtender, installed on a physical Windows 2003 R2 Standard Server, DiskXtender Version 6.20.090, Service Pack 1, reading from the same Centera setup as Source One.
  • EmailXtender is in read only mode using Mapped Folders on Source One.

The goal is to remove the physical EmailXtender server from our environment. This server is out of warranty and we do not wish to upgrade to a new physical server. My first choice would be to move all EmailXtender data to Source One and then decommission EmailXtender. My understanding is that there is a tool called the SourceOne Migration Utility or In-Place Migration Tool that might accomplish this, however I don’t know how to obtain this tool or if there is additional cost involved. We are on a very limited budget.

Secondly if cost is involved in obtaining/using the migration tool, is there another method to get all the data from EmailXtender to SourceOne?

If migration is not feasible for whatever reason, then our second choice involves possibly virtualizing the EmailXtender server. I need to know if this is possible and if so, what are some things that I need to consider besides of course End-Of-Life for EmailXtender. DiskXtender is installed on this same server. I almost think that the DiskXtender virtualization is potentially more of a problem. We are using VM Ware.

I realize that I will ultimately have to go through support for this, but I thought I would first post here to see if anyone else has any experience with this. This will help me work with support if necessary. Thank you!

32 Posts

March 6th, 2013 15:00

Greetings,

SourceOne Migration Utility or In-Place Migration Tool is not freely available. You need to get in touch with EMC Professional Services to get the migration done. With In-Place migration tool you can use your existing Index and archive data as it is.

Its does migration very quickly, but its not available directly.

Its best to recommended, get your emailxtender data migrated to SourceOne.

VMware : EmailXtender is supported running on VMware ESX Server, GSX Server, or VMware Workstation

software. The use of EmailXtender with VMware VMotion is also supported as long as EmailXtender is using either virtual disks or is using VMFS for direct access to disks. The VMware Server product is not supported.The hardware recommendations for EmailXtender may not be sufficient for running EmailXtender under these VMware products.

For third-party software, such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, or IBM Lotus Domino,

contact the third-party for their support of VMware.

Regards,

Ajay Chanana

39 Posts

March 19th, 2013 03:00

Hi Dulce

As mentionned by Ajay, The IPM tool to migrate ex data is volume based.

Could you give us an idea about the current data in EX(TB?)

Depending on the size of the ex archive we might be able to discuss some solutions

Contact me directly if possible.

In any way i would try to phase out EmailXtender and migrate the data to SourceOne

This will give you the uption to rebuilt the indexes as SourceOne indexes and will result in a much better performance.

Thnx

Regards

Tom

No Events found!