Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2012 12:00

Linux Support for XPS13 Driver!

Hello World,

Incredibly, the good folks at Canonical have quickly issued an open source driver for the XPS13 Cyrprus touchpad.  Read more about the announcement here:

http://bartongeorge.net/2012/06/20/sputnik-update-touchpad-driver-now-available/

This is super simply to apply if you are using the base Sputnik ISO (just force a system update, then restart).  Once you log in you can manage the touchpad through the system control panel and activate all the things you have come to expect from a touchpad.

Looks like I'll spend a lot more time working on this killer little machine!

-Mike

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 09:00

I got my XPS13 yesterday, installed the image and ran updates.  I don't see any multi-touch goodness :/

nathan@sputnik:~$ sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name

Dell System XPS L321X

The Kernel it installed was built on the 9th.

nathan@sputnik:~$ uname -a

Linux sputnik 3.2.0-25-generic #40+kamal1~DellXPS-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 6 01:38:24 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The PPA is installed

nathan@sputnik:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dellxps.list

deb ppa.launchpad.net/.../ubuntu precise main

deb-src ppa.launchpad.net/.../ubuntu precise main

deb ppa.launchpad.net/.../ubuntu precise main

deb-src ppa.launchpad.net/.../ubuntu precise main

It looks like on the PPA page this is the latest kernel: 3.2.0-26.41+kamal2~DellXPS

So, for some reason I am not getting it, am I missing something?

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 09:00

Nevermind, I'm stupid, needed to do a dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

June 25th, 2012 10:00

Glad to hear you got it sussed! :)

July 6th, 2012 06:00

Hey Barton, I'm extremely impressed with the entire project. It truly is a great idea that has renewed the outlook on Dell for many people. Never have I've seen such great support for Ubuntu and developers from a OEM. The entire way this project is organized is very professional and easy for the public to access. I'm especially pleased with the rapid development of the track pad drivers, and can't wait to see how this project spans out.

1 Message

July 8th, 2012 20:00

Has anybody seen any issues with the touchpad? I had ubuntu (Oneiric Ocelot)  installed on a  dell m6300 and periodically the touchpad would stop reponding and I would have to look for a usb mouse.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

July 10th, 2012 20:00

Thanks! :)

No Events found!