This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 11th, 2017 04:00

naviseccli - Command Line Lover!

Hi,

I have been learning to use the command line interface for quite sometime and seem to have figured out that it is a lot more efficient than the graphical user interface. I am able to customise my output based on my requirement and seem to receive the output a lot more faster than the usual.

One of those CLIs that I have used is the IOS CLI on Cisco Devices and there seem to be this cool feature of Pipelines "|". In Cisco, they use the pipes to generate output for a specific parameter. Example: There is a command to show the current configuration of a switch. --> show running-config. What pipes do is collect specific information that a user requires in the primary command and displays it. Example: show running-config | include interface. <-- in this example, it will display the running configuration of a switch with respect to interfaces only.

We are aware that most of the output on naviseccli contains lots of information and sometimes, we require only specific information in that huge report. For instance, commands relating to MirrorView. What if I want a list of only two MirrorView Sessions(Mirrors) out of the ten sessions available? Do we have an option to pipeline that information. Would really be awesome to do so? #LearningTogether  #CommandLineLover #ChrisSunith

1 Message

November 17th, 2017 07:00

you can do that directly with the interpreter from your OS.

on linux use the "grep", on windows use "findstr"

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

Thanks bricec. That was helpful. Just to make it clear, I could use grep or findstr instead of pipelines and mention what I am looking for, specifically in the output?

No Events found!