Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 14th, 2009 11:00

2000-0148 error code. Hard Drive Problem?

Hi! I own an inspiron 1720. I'm trying to install vista, but the installation keeps stalling on "Completing Installation". I tried to install XP, but the XP setup didn't "see" a hard drive connected to my computer! I ran the extended diagnostics and i got the message

"Error Code 0148     Msg:Error Code 2000-0148    Msg:Unit 0:IDE ERROR: status 28 No additional sense information"

I replaced my hard drive with a new one and nothing happened. The diagnostics suggest that the problem relates to the optical drive, but it seems unlikely to me, since the XP doesn't recognize a hard drive at all, while both the Vista DVD and the XP CD boot and run normally(?)! Please help me!!!:emotion-9:

14.4K Posts

June 14th, 2009 15:00

Xp will more than likely not see your drive as it is a SATA drive and there is no SATA support in XP. To install XP on a SATA system one must either:

boot into the bios and look for a setting to changet the SATA mode to ATA.

Download and slipsteam the SATA driver into the install disk.

Are you seeing this erro on the new harddrive?

5 Posts

June 14th, 2009 15:00

Thank you for your reply!! You're absolutely right! The laptop has SATA drive. But i am almost sure that i've used the same CD to install XP in another sata pc. Anyway,  regarding your question, yes i was seeing this error on the new hard drive too, until i reseated the dvd drive. Now i get no error from the diagnostic tests! Any idea?

14.4K Posts

June 14th, 2009 17:00

I would suppose at this time to try to reload either Vista or XP.  If the XP disk is a Dell disk that came from a system with SATA drives in it then the drive will already be in it. however checking the setting in the bios is usually the fix that normally works

5 Posts

June 14th, 2009 18:00

You are absolutely right!!! Now i'm installing from the XP cd without problems... I'm starting to think that maybe my Dell Vista installation DVD is damaged. But in this case, wouldn't be logical that the installer should give me a notice? Strange... Thank you very much!!!

14.4K Posts

June 14th, 2009 19:00

good news hope the vista goes as well.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2009 19:00

Yes, exactly! The XP installed and booted normally, after i followed your advice. Now i'm trying to install Vista with the same bios settings that got me to successfully install XP. If it fails, then i'll be sure that the Vista DVD is faulty, i'll restore the previous bios settings, and i'll have my Vista DVD replaced. Again, thanx a lot for your help!! :emotion-1:

5 Posts

June 14th, 2009 21:00

Yes, it did! I have one final question: Those settings in BIOS are configured that way, so you can install everything again through Dell Media Direct? I'm wondering if i should return them to the prior state before i give the laptop back to my friend...

14.4K Posts

June 15th, 2009 14:00

No dont do that or it wont work. Once you install in ATA mode it need to stay in that mode, unless you are going to slipstream the SATA driver into the install disk. It will really not make much difference if you are not running a RAID setup.

4 Posts

February 20th, 2012 21:00

Dear Friends

I am also facing the same problem ..same error 0148 .. when i run the dell diagonstics ..actually my system has crashed ..so wanted to install new OS .tried several OS ..first vista ,xp ,,even tried windows 98 .but i am not able to install the OS.. the dvd drive is detetcing the dell media direct dvd ..but some times it detects windows vista dvd ..installation goes for some time ..and at middel it says something that drivers not found something like that when tried installing by making USB drive bootable with windows vista in it ..

Please help me with the solution ..and also tell me one good way to make windows vista bootable USB drive ..

how to attach pictures of the error messages here ....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 05:00

Hi Navnyu,

Please start a new message and include the model and operating system of your Dell computer.

No Events found!