Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2008 08:00

2nd Hard drive in Studio 1737

I purchased a Studio 1737 laptop last week but only opted for 1 hard drive(2nd wasn't an available option for my configuration). I purchased an additional drive from another vendor thinking I would just install it myself. After I openen the case I realize the 2nd bay is not configured (connector and cable) the same as the 1st. All I need is the housing and the connectors, but dell will only sell as a kit (slow 5400 and 160gb) for $130 and I paid $80 for a 320gb 7200. Any ideas where i can get the necessary parts to complete my installation?

623 Posts

December 24th, 2008 10:00

I purchased a Studio 1737 laptop last week but only opted for 1 hard drive(2nd wasn't an available option for my configuration). I purchased an additional drive from another vendor thinking I would just install it myself. After I openen the case I realize the 2nd bay is not configured (connector and cable) the same as the 1st. All I need is the housing and the connectors, but dell will only sell as a kit (slow 5400 and 160gb) for $130 and I paid $80 for a 320gb 7200. Any ideas where i can get the necessary parts to complete my installation?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?category_id=2999&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&mfgpid=197353&chassisid=8526&~ck=anav&nf=%7e3%7e694&sort=price

8 Posts

December 24th, 2008 12:00

Thank you, thank you, thank you. My search did not give me any results, so I did the online chat with a Dell representative. She informed me the $130 route was the only way, those parts are not available separately. You just saved me $100, so again THANK YOU.

6 Posts

January 10th, 2009 16:00

My Studio 1737 with one hard drive is on the way and I have a follow-up question:

Is the "Carrier Assembly for 2nd Hard Drive" the only part required to add a second hard drive?

Thanks in advance.  Vince

8 Posts

January 10th, 2009 17:00

YES. I got this part   " and it includes the hard drive connector and the carrier with screws. I installed my in about 2 minutes and it was ready to go as soon as I partitioned it. Definitely the thing to get instead of the kit w/hd that Dell sells if you want to save a few bucks.

6 Posts

January 11th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will get the part ordered right away.

My Studio 1737 should be here on Wednesday.  Are you happy with yours?  Any special hints or suggestions?

January 12th, 2009 01:00

I bought one of Dell's 250 GB 5400 rpm hard drives for the Studio 17 and it came fitted with the carrier bay already installed.  Ask the salesperson if it comes with the carrier bay for the second hard drive before buying an extra carrier bay. 

8 Posts

January 12th, 2009 13:00

I'm happy. No problems from the laptop other than some Microsoft annoyances (seems everytime I mount or unmount a USB stick the sidebar crashes, but that could be 1 or more gadgets causing it) and I haven't gotten my touchpad sensitivity worked out yet. My old Inspiron's touchpad worked great, if I could just get this one adjusted. The video display wigged out on me the other night, but I might have been doing more than I should have running on the battery. As far as the additional hard drive goes, it doesn't seem to have decreased any battery or processor power while being used, no noticeable heat or noise coming from it. I am happy with my purchase. Should have gotten one earlier but I'm glad I waited. I didn't get the TV tuner with it, and from the posts I've seen, it seems to break relatively easily, so that is something to watch out for.

6 Posts

January 13th, 2009 18:00

Thanks Mr. DLD for that info.  My laptop should be delivered tomorrow, God willing and the creek don't rise.  I didn't get the TV tuner either.  I will keep a look-out for some of the other problems.

Thanks again for your help.:emotion-1:

Thanks also, chromodynamics, for the drive info.  I will be sure to ask the question before ordering the drive. :emotion-1:

10 Posts

January 24th, 2009 12:00

I wonder if only dell hard drives will work. eg will a seagate drive, or western digital drive work as well?

8 Posts

January 24th, 2009 16:00

I purchased a Seagate SATA-300 320gb drive, but any SATA notebook drive should work. Dell purchases drives from different vendors from time to time, so getting a drive from Dell doesn't mean it is a Dell drive. It is usually Seagate or Western Digital, at least that is what is in the 5 Dell computers I have. Dell sells the computer with a capacity number and speed for the drive and not the brand of drive manufacturer. If you look at drives on Pricewatch you can find OEM drives that don't have all the packaging and are considerably cheaper. Since the drive is all you need other than the HDD Kit from Dell, save youself some money. If you get the complete kit from Dell, I would assume you get instructions, but if your savvy enough to remove 10-12 screws and can snap an adapter to the drive, attach the housing and then replace the screws, you probably don't need to spend the extra just to get instructions.

41 Posts

February 6th, 2009 06:00

You seem to be the most knowlegable on the Studio 1737. I have purchased the 2nd hard drive kit from Dell, I'm very happy to have two drives installed. My question is: Do you or anyone in the community have the Part Number for the Primary Hard Drive carrier and Interposer. This are the numbers I copied from the component itself. Interposer: DP/N U589F, QP/N 000GM3HD000. Carrier DP/N OXO48C or it could be 0X048C. It would be nice to have a spare drive ready to go without removing screws from original drive, also the flat cable on the Interposer seems very flimsy. I have Googled the numbers and nothing came up.

8 Posts

February 7th, 2009 07:00

I wouldn't say I'm the most knowlegable since I had to ask to get answers myself. I agree with you on the flimsy nature, but it's not like we would be removing and replacing the drive on a regular basis, so it may be rugged enough. Here is what I found. This is the interposer and cable, I believe it is for the main drive. I don't know this for certain since there is no picture available, but I don't think $2 would be a big loss if it wasn't. You might try the online chat with a Dell rep to verify it. Then there's also the phone call to India, I mean support personnel.

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 07:00

Just a short F/U to this general discussion.

I ordered a 320 GB hard drive from Tiger Direct and the carrier from Dell.  Installation was super smooth.  The new second drive is now initialized, partitioned and working like a charm.  Thanks to everyone for their help.:emotion-1::emotion-1:

31 Posts

March 18th, 2009 10:00

A quick followup question from a total n00b: do you need to buy Dell's bracket assembly AND carrier assembly for the 2nd drive install, or just the carrier? I am taking delivery of a 1737 next week and want to put a 2nd drive in it when I get it.

Thanks in advance for any response.

8 Posts

March 18th, 2009 14:00

Well the W021D | Dell Part# : 341-7101 is what I purchased, and all that was necessary to install an additional drive. This has a metal housing that screws to the motherboard & the IDE connector that makes the connection from the hard drive and motherboard. It was $ 11 when I bought mine, but I don't remember if I paid any shipping for it. As long as you have an additional laptop drive, the only thing you will need is the part I listed above. It has all the screws necessary to install it. I would say if you only bought the carrier, you would not get the drive connector, which you do need.

No Events found!