Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2015 09:00

Add SATA 3.5" drive to Optiplex 780

I have a new (refurbished) Optiplex 780 DT desktop computer.  It has eight USB 2.0 connectors, and no USB 3.x connectors. I also have a 1TB 3.5" SATA drive from an old (RIP) machine (WD1001FALS).

1.  What would I need to add a USB 3.0 upgrade card so I could use the external USB-SATA interface that I have at USB 3.x speed.  I know about the board fitting into the case, but what power and functional interface connections are available  inside the case, or at least on the main board? 

2.  What if I wanted to make this an internal SATA drive, are there a connectors (power and interface) inside for that?  There is a front panel blank that implies that I could fit the drive in there, possibly with an aftermarket bracket.  Alternatively, I have positioned this as a mini-tower, so I could simply lay the drive inside wherever it fits.

3.  If I were to choose to use the esata connector on the back, is there a way to get power to the drive outside the box?

Thank you,

Jan

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 13th, 2015 16:00

Hi Jan,

Here is the manual for your Opti 780: http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-780_Service%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

There are two slots for a 3.5" HDD so plenty of room inside. You'll most likely need a data cable, but there should be a spare power connector. There are both SATA 1 and SATA 2 ports. Check the manual to see which is which.

For either eSATA or USB, you'll need an external enclosure. But any up to date USB 3.0 expansion card should be compatible with your system.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 14th, 2015 16:00

Yes, the desktop has only a single 3.5" bay, but the optical drive slot will work fine.

Good luck!

7 Posts

July 13th, 2015 18:00

Osprey4,

Thank you for your rapid and complete response, and for the manual.  I may have a smaller case than you think.  This is a refurbished computer in a desktop case, although I have it oriented vertically. 

I discovered, even without your troubleshooting information, that the reason that I could not make a DVD backup was that the drive appears to be a DVD-ROM plus CDRW.  I will probably remove that, leaving a slot for the 3.5" 1TB drive that I have.  I will get an external DVD writer, and then I can use it in the future, when the brilliant minds who plan computers decide that no one needs removable disk storage, just as they decided that no one needs a serial port (except ham operators).

I am quite pleased with the operation of the computer--it is fast compared to the notebook it replaced, and eight USB ports are welcome.  Performance/$ is great, although it will require a bit of upgrading.

Sincerely,

Jan

309 Posts

November 19th, 2016 12:00

Osprey and Ditzian - I also have an Optiplex 780 Desktop and would like to install a second hard drive.

However, I would prefer NOT to remove the CD-DVD.  I would prefer to use the space between the normal HD (at bottom of the drive area when the 780 Desktop is lying on its side horizontally and not standing up vertically) and the CD-DVD (at top of the drive area).  The space in between is designed for a floppy disk drive, which has never been in the PC.  It has always been empty space.

Last week, I tried, but found that the empty floppy-drive space was a cm too short for a new drive.  I could not slide the new drive all the way in unless I left off the small black plastic cover that normally covers the unused floppy-drive "front" on the case.  (I had added side-screws to the new drive and was not using one of those blue plastic caddies.  This floppy-drive space seems only to work with the side screws; a blue plastic caddy seems to be good only for the original HD space at bottom.)

But the Dell manual for the Opti 780 Desktop definitely shows the possibility of a second hard drive in that space. 

What's the trick?  Are some 3.5" drives longer than others?

Thanks.

October 15th, 2022 06:00

Hi, 6 years later... I am planning to add an SSD to my Optiplex 780 (desktop form factor),

the service manual definitely tells me that there are three SATA 7-pin connectors on the system board, but I don't seem to be able to find the third one (two connectors are attached to HDD and DVD).

Did you find it? Can you tell me where it is?

Thanks

October 17th, 2022 01:00

I have found it.

That's kind of perplexing, since it was right under my nose.

My brain could not see it until I saw a picture of the motherboard without all the connected cables and components. Even if it was there in the clear, not hidden by anything.

No Events found!