Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2013 20:00

Adding SSD to Studio XPS 8100 with 2 HDD

Hello,

I've got a query similar to this one in this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/19499585/20334228.aspx#20334228 but I have gone a bit further down the line and need some advice and help regarding the Intel Rapid Storage Technology controller.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with 2 x 1TB Segate drives which are striped.

Configuration is SATA 1+2 = Striped HDDs; SATA 3 = BluRay ROM/DVD RW; SATA 4 = Unused.

I have purchased a Samsung SSD 840 Series.

What I would like to do is add the new SSD to the controller and install Windows 8 without messing/breaking the existing 2 x HDD Striped Array.

I first installed the SSD to SATA 4 and booted Windows 8 from DVD but Windows 8 said it could not install to this drive because it is non-bootable (SSD is unformatted/unpartitioned at this point but I assume that Windows 8 installation will do this for me.

So questions are:

1) If I was to move the SSD to SATA 1, could I (physically) move the existing 2 Striped HDD to SATA 2 and 3 and configure this setup in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology controller without losing the existing striped array?  I don't want to find that the controller will set up a fresh array that then requires a fresh format in order to use it.

2) Is there any documentation regarding this controller that I could read up on regarding reconfiguration/options and their effect?

Thanks, 
Chris 

6.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 14:00

I am happy to learn you have it working.  I forget occasionally that the newer Dell BIOS will allow you to select a SATA port for booting.  My XPS 410, being an older machine, only allows me the capability of selecting "SATA hard drive" as a boot device.  Since it doesn't give me the option of choosing a specific port, the bootable SATA drive must be attached to the first port.

Once a RAID has been configured, the parametric data written to the drives allows the RAID ROM to figure out how the RAID was configured.  I just went through this on a Studio XPS 435T/9000; we had a problem after adding a new video card to the system that resulted in failure to boot, error message "One or more of your hard drives is locked".  We resolved it by moving the drives from the third and fourth ports (where Dell originally installed them) to the first and second ports.  Provided you keep the drives in the same relative port order, you can obviously make this switch and keep the computer operational.

I am interested that your install did not wind up with a dual boot arrangement on its own; perhaps Windows 8 works differently from Windows 7.  The XPS 410 I am presently using has a RAID 0 that was originally configured with Windows XP.  When I decided to try Windows 7, I shrank the original partition and directed Windows 7 setup to install into the resulting unallocated space.  The install proceeded normally and I wound up with a dual boot system without ever having been given the opportunity to indicate that I wanted a dual boot system.  Since that was my objective, I'm not complaining, but I can see that it might be annoying to some folks who were not planning it that way.  Before you installed, did you by chance set your SSD on port 4 to be first in the boot order?

1.8K Posts

April 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi Chris,

You will need to re-create the RAID array in Intel Rapid Storage Technology controller after moving the drives to different ports. It is not possible to configure RAID without losing the existing striped array. I suggest you to back-up important data that is saved on the RAID array.

Please let me know if you need further information.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi Chris,

To answer your second question, look in your manual under working with disk drives (I think that's what it's called) for more detail on working with the Intel RAID controller.

6.4K Posts

April 1st, 2013 15:00

Please pardon the intrusion, but I believe I have some good news for you.  I assume your RAID 0 is the bootable drive, and is presently using the first and second SATA ports.  The RAID should still work if you move the drives to the third and fourth SATA ports, leaving the first two ports empty.  The only catch is that you will need to move your optical drive to the second SATA port, and some Dells do not seem to work well if you attach an optical drive to a port of lower order than the hard drives.  I suggest you move the hard drives to the ports as mentioned, keeping them in the same port order please, and attach your optical drive to the second port.  Boot up and see what happens; you can always switch it back.

As you have surmised, your SSD will need to attach to the first SATA port in order to be bootable as a single stand-alone drive.  What happens when you attempt to install Windows 8 will be interesting.  When I have done this on a computer having no RAID, you wind up with a dual boot arrangement.  The initial boot information will be written to the first drive, and is set up so that you get to select which OS you boot before the computer will proceed.  On my Win XP/Win 7 dual boot, a selection screen appears for about 30 seconds to give you a chance to select.  If I do not make a selection, Windows 7 boots by default.  I've never done this with a stand-alone drive and a RAID, however.  Logic says it should work the same way, but I won't know for certain until you try it.  I have also heard that Windows 8 doesn't always play well with a dual boot configuration, but that could simply be a rumor.

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

Sorry, forgot to also say: my current working configuration contradicts your statement "As you have surmised, your SSD will need to attach to the first SATA port in order to be bootable as a single stand-alone drive" as I have now got Win8 on SSD booting on SATA Port 4.  Maybe I have a newer Intel RAS card? (Feb 2010 purchase)

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

Hi Jack Shack,

Thanks for your detailed reply - it is reassuring.

I've already done a configuration (which I will explain further down) before I read your post but before I do I need to say:

1) Your comment that moving the stripe from SATA 1 & 2 to SATA 3 & 4 appears to contradict DELL-Rajath post that you can't configure the RAID without losing the RAID.  This leaves me in a position where I daren't try even though I think your post might be more informative

2) You say "Boot up and see what happens; you can always switch it back." but I worry again from the DELL-Rajath post that I might not be able to switch back.

Anyway, as I say, I've been able to move forward by removing the partiion on my SSD, installing it onto the free SATA 4 port and hten changing the boot order in the BIOS.  Windows 8 was able to install directly onto the SATA 4 (SSD) drive as "C:" and assign drive letters to the SATA 1/2 Sriped HDD.

Although not a "dual boot" solution, I can still (at the moment) swtich back and forth by changing the boot ordering.  I've also been able to do this without touching the striped array and risking a RAID wipe.

Is this what DELL expect to be the case?

Cheers for your help. 

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Jack Shack,

> I forget occasionally that the newer Dell BIOS will allow you to select a SATA port for booting.  My XPS 410, being an older machine, only allows me the capability of selecting "SATA hard drive" as a boot device.  Since it doesn't give me the option of choosing a specific port, the bootable SATA drive must be attached to the first port.

Yes, I have one BIOS option to select boot ordering such as DVD / RAID / USB etc. and a separate option to selecting ordering of SATA devices within the Intel RST ports.

> Once a RAID has been configured, the parametric data written to the drives allows the RAID ROM to figure out how the RAID was configured.  I just went through this on a Studio XPS 435T/9000; we had a problem ....  Provided you keep the drives in the same relative port order, you can obviously make this switch and keep the computer operational.

That is really good to hear and makes total sense that the drives themselves have a copy to what it's function is.  Thanks.

>  am interested that your install did not wind up with a dual boot arrangement on its own; perhaps Windows 8 works differently from Windows 7.

I'm not surprised by this as the Windows 7 OS on Striped HDD at the point of installing Win 8 on SSD was "just another hard disk [array]".  If I had kept the Striped HDD as the bootable drive and then proceeded to install Win 8 on SSD from there I guess the installation would have updated the MBR of the Stripped HDD.  I can switch between OS's at the moment (temporary solution) by changing the boot order in the BIOS.

Cheers

No Events found!