Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2016 21:00

BSOD on Precision 5510 related to Samsung NVMe Drivers?

Hello - 

I have the new Dell Precision 5510 (15" Skylake Infinity Display) and I have been experiencing BSODs pretty frequently when I do heavy work ("Unexpected Store Exception").

Dell support, after running diagnostics replaced the Samsung 512 gb NVMe PM951 drive.  Unfortunately, I put in the drive and although I got up running, it failed the diagnostics as well.

However, a new version of bios came out (on 5 of Jan) and I updated that, and VOILA - it passed diagnostics - meaning it likely wasn't a bad drive causing the issue... I thought I was free and clear.

BUT - turns out I wasn't.  A day later, I start getting BSOD again.  Additionally, it begins that when I reboot my system.I get a "No Hard Drive Recognized" error.  I have to shut down and power on for the system to recognize my drive.

It seems like many people on the new XPS 15 (a very similar computer to the Precision 5510) are having these problems as well: down to, after upgrading the BIOS, the computer not being able to reboot.

Now, many people say that installing the Samsung NVMe drivers help with stability (but not the "hard drive not found" problem).  So I'm hoping that these will help my stability issues.  But the "hard drive not found" problem is still a HUGE problem, obviously.  What's being done to solve this problem?

February 5th, 2016 19:00

Did you find a solution to this issue?

I'm having both "unexpected_store_exception" and "critical_process_died" errors many times daily.  I'm at my wits end with this machine.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2016 11:00

Hello - 

Well, it's been a mixed bag.  By installing Samsung NVMe drives, I have been able to prevent BSOD.  However, my machine continues to have the bootup "HD not found" error and has actually developed even more serious problems after this with waking up from sleep as well as recognizing the keyboard.  Completely unacceptable.

Dell recently replaces my system with a new one.  I am debating weather or not to re-install Windows with an AHCI setup.  The NVMe drive clearly works faster on my AHCI laptop by about 250 mb/s (1500 vs 1750) (I will be sending 1st machine back in the next couple of days) but at those speeds I am considering just leaving it in RAID mode for now.  I have not had any problems when computer is in RAID mode.

I would suggest you at least start by installing Samsung NVMe drivers (there's a link somewhere in the XPS 15 notebookreview forums) and seeing if you can solve problems.  Also make sure BIOS are updated.

I would love to guidance from Dell techs (my support rep has been friendly and helpful, but clearly doesn't know what she's doing technically) about what the AHCI compatibility of this machine will be. Obviously a big deal for Linux users.

No Events found!