Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 5th, 2010 02:00

Blade in the Bay - How to get it out: Internal HDD Hard error Inspiron 6000 replacement disk

Need to retrieve the adapter blade from inside the laptop, so BIOS can find my new HDD.

Am working on an Inspiron 6000 having this same problem everybody else has had. So we got a new disk drive, from Dell,  installed it and got the infamous Internal HDD Hard error message. It was surprising  that so many have had the same problem with this same model.

I have viewed many entries on this subject and apparently the basic instructions imply a blade adapter is needed for this model, such as below.

" On this model you must transfer the blade adapter from the back of the original drive to the new one.  Pull the connector off the original drive and place it in the same orientation over the pins on the new drive.  Be careful - the pins are flimsy and easily bent. Without the adapter, the drive is not connected to the mainboard,"

Well if there was an adapter on the old drive then it is still inside the bay, since there wasn't an adapter on the drive when I pulled it out (without removing the screw from the bottom of the laptop - OF COURSE!! ). That adapter has to be inside the bay.  Now how do I get it out?  So I've tried going in from the top, the side, and from the bottom, I cannot get to it, but I can see what appears to be what everybody is describing as "the blade adapter".  Do I truly have to disassemble the laptop in order to retrieve this blade adapter?  If you have any ideas can you please help.

THANKS,

cadkgs

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 5th, 2010 05:00

Hi Cadkgs,

Here's the service manual. This should not be a difficult job.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2010 16:00

Osprey4,

Thanks. The manual is the first place I looked in removing the old drive, and putting in the new one, according to instructions.  But the drive is not connecting to the connector.  I get the same identical message with the drive in and with the drive out.  In searching the forums, there is talk that a connecting adapter was on the original drive.  This was not the case, unless such an adapter stayed stuck in the bay when I removed the old drive.  I can see a black plastic connector inside which might be an adapter, or it may not be removable, I don't know.  But when I insert the drive, it is not connecting via that connector i'm looking at.  So in the manual I find nothing about an adapter, or what to do if the drive doesn't make the connecting. 

The pin configuration is slightly different on the new drive but the connector has enough holes so that different configuration would not matter. There may be something else with the shape of that connector, perhaps on the ends, that cause it to not fit.  If I could get it out I could see - especially since all the bloggers seem to think this model has an adapter that must fit on the drive before it is inserted.  That's the help I need. I'm beginning to think it just doesn't fit - maybe DELL sent the wrong part. Please let me know if you have any ideas on this. 

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 7th, 2010 12:00

You're sure Dell sent you a PATA (IDE) drive, not SATA. Right? Believe me, I've seen this get mixed up more times than I can remember.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2010 13:00

Yep.  That's exactly wahat happened.  Replacement is on the way.

Thanks much.

No Events found!