Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 12:00

Bought a Second Hard Drive...

(I recently bought an XPS 8700 tower.)  The drive arrived yesterday.  I started to install it today, then realized that when I put the drive into the cage, I need four screws to secure it.  There were no screws included with the hard drive.  How do I get the proper screws?

1.5K Posts

August 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi ColinM_Campbell,

The part # for the screws required to secure the hard drive with the system chassis is M297N. You may contact local Dell support for the screws.

If you are residing in the US, you may contact dell spares. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/11GOIPD

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 14th, 2013 14:00

(I recently bought an XPS 8700 tower.)  The drive arrived yesterday.  I started to install it today, then realized that when I put the drive into the cage, I need four screws to secure it.  There were no screws included with the hard drive.  How do I get the proper screws?

ColinM_Campbell

You need 4 x 6-32X1/4, Phillips head screws, these can be purchased from most computer stores, try to buy them locally to save the S&H. 

Bev.

August 14th, 2013 14:00

Hi Bev,

The screws that Dell used for hard drive 0 and the drive cage are hex heads with Phillips internal heads.  I used a hex driver that's labeled 1/4 to remove and replace them.  You are probably correct, and I may go look for the screws you mentioned, since I ordered from Dell Spares, and those won't be delivered until Aug 20.

Thanks for the information!

Colin

August 14th, 2013 15:00

$7.96 for four screws, plus 64 cents for CA sales tax.  I was able to use my Dell Advantage connection to avoid a shipping charge even higher than the price of the screws!

My (nine year) old computer, a Dell Dimension 8400, used a parallel connector for the printer, so I had to order a USB 2.0 A/B 3 meter cable.  That cost less than the screws.  I got a good price from Dell & Dell Advantage on the Western Digital 500GB Black hard drive that I plan to use for my "other" operating system, eComStation.  I'll get this new beast working yet!

Colin

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Hi Colin,

Hex head screws will work fine, the thing to worry about is thread size and the length.

The same screws will also fit the optical drives.

A question, what was Dell's price on the screws?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Hi Colin,

WOW, Dell really get's yah on the screws,  :emotion-6:

Bev.

1.5K Posts

August 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the information. I am glad that you got the required screws.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!