Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Broken Orange wire holder for optical drive. and cd drive problems Alienware 14 R-1

I got a sd card stuck in my alienware 14 R-1s disk drive. so I took off the back and got the cd drive and such out and I got the orange wire disconnected and everything was going as planned but after I got the sd card out of the cd drive after unscrewing it When I put everything back together the socket that the orange copperish colored wire goes into broke. Now I cannot use my Cd Drive. I still have warranty though will warranty even cover this?  Im also getting a hard drive error in alien autopsy. but the hard drive is working fine so I don't know why it's giving me that error. But I put the windows 8 red disk in just to test the cd drive. cd drive worked for a few seconds. but then made ejecting sounds and eventually just stopped. It's a hardware problem I know that for sure and I don't really want to have to call dell unless I have to.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2015 16:00

Hi Chanderdylan8,

Is this orange wire inside the drive? If it is, you'll need to replace the drive.

January 15th, 2015 14:00

No the actual orange wire for the drive is intact. it's just the holder for the wire. where it snaps in the white snap bar or whatever it is snapped off. and I cannot re attach it. and I cannot reconnect the wire without it

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2015 02:00

I think you need to replace the drive.

January 19th, 2015 18:00

Just tried another drive. cable won't reconnect. it's the cable holder. not the drive. the drive is FINE it's just the holder of the wire

August 28th, 2015 20:00

Nevermind. It was actually the drive. It's working now. Thanks for the help!

No Events found!