Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2016 15:00

CD/DVD Eject button does not work (Win 10, 64-bit)

I am running Windows 10 and my CD/DVD button does not eject the disc. The only way to eject it is to go to the drive, right click and select Eject. This is very annoying. I have search through this forum but all the fixes are for Windows 7 or 8. I have searched for a driver update but found nothing. Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it?

I pulled this info from System Information.

CD/DVD: HL-DT-ST DVD+ - RW (GA50N)

Current Driver: Version 10.0.10586.0

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 31st, 2016 17:00

Hi NLE27,

What model is your Dell and the DVD drive (hint, check device manager)?

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 18:00

I have an Alienware X51 R2. 

Here is a screenshot of my Device Manager, CD/DVD properties.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 15:00

I'll assume you're pushing the eject button properly. Try this. Boot to the BIOS or UEFI with a disc in the drive. Try pushing the button. In the BIOS, there won't be any program or utility preventing the disc from being ejected. If the disc ejects, then you know there's something in the OS preventing the disc from being ejected.

If the button doesn't work, then replacing the drive or using the eject command is your only option. You can however, put a shortcut on the desktop or anywhere else for a command ejecting the drive.

June 14th, 2018 13:00

Did you figure out what the issue was? I have the same device (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA50N) on Windows 10, 64-bit (fresh install of latest version). Interestingly, my player will eventually eject the disc...it just takes several minutes to do so. The device driver is version 10.0.17134.1.

I went into the BIOS and tested...the eject button works fine there (takes only a few seconds). So we know there's something in my OS causing the issue.

1 Message

March 17th, 2021 09:00

I had the same issue as mentioned above; my eject button worked in every context except when Windows 10 was running. The eject button worked in Windows 8 and in the BIOS screen, and Windows 10 could eject the drive with the "Eject" menu option, but did not recognize the button.

I fixed my problem by navigating to Dell's website, going to Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, and downloading the Dell Optical Drive Software Eject driver. After installing the driver and rebooting my PC, the eject button again works in Windows 10.

(I believe this problem affects a specific DVD-R drive. That DVD-R manufacturer's name is considered profane by Dell's automated forum software, so I cannot disclose it. But perhaps if you ask, I can give you a hint.)

No Events found!