Oglog40
1 Copper

Re: CD Drive Code 39 Error - NO FIX!

Hello Williamkidd, you seem to be a good help here so i was wondering if you would help me with my problem. I have an Inspiron 530. I am having a problem with my disk drive, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N ATA Device. I am getting a Code 39 error saying that the driver may be corrupted or missing, any idea what i should do?

0 Kudos
Davey D.
1 Copper

Hi Oglog40,  I am having the very same problem with my Inspiron 531 with a H31N ATA.  I can open my CD tray manually, but in OS, it has completely disappeared.  Not sure exactly what caused the problem, but may have had something to do with this incident.  I did a "shut-down" of the computer and as it was closing, I realized the disc tray was still partially open (about 1 inch or so).  Without thinking, I manually forced the tray shut.  I immeately realzed I shouldn't have done that, so I rebooted and then pressed the open door button beside the drive  It opened OK so assumed everything was alright.  Several days later I inserted a disc, but it wouln'd start up.  Went into Computer and the entire "E" drive missing.   Did you do the same thing?  If you did and find a solution, could you please post.  I will do the same.

0 Kudos
williamkidd
3 Argentium

@Oglog40, have you tried the tried the two possible fixes in the Solution post above? Code 39 is a driver error message that could mean something is conflicting with cdrom.sys (the driver for the CD/DVD drive) or that cdrom.sys itself has become corrupted. I would suggest trying those first two possible fixes first if you haven't already. If they didn't work, let me know and I can suggest some other possible solutions.

@Davey D., your issue sounds a little bit different. It's possible that cdrom.sys (the driver that makes the CD/DVD drive work) may have become corrupted during the shutdown. Does the drive show up in Device Manager (inside Control Panel)? I would assume that it's not because it's not showing up in Windows Explorer. But if it is let us know if it shows an error code. If not, there are a few different ways to replace the driver including the use of a backup file on your hard drive.

In both of your cases, when you post back please include the version of Windows that you are using so that any further instructions can be given for that particular operating system.

In Training at SpywareHammer Academy

Penny, everything is better with Bluetooth. - The Big Bang Theory

You can't believe everything that you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started. - PS3 commercial

0 Kudos
Oglog40
1 Copper

What happend to me was i re-installed my operating systems and everything and a few of my drivers were missing once it was done. My network driver was also missing. The Cd/DVD driver was working at first but i tryed to install Roxio and it messed up some how. I will keep a look out for a solution.

0 Kudos
Oglog40
1 Copper

Yes, i did try the first fixes. The sony bmg one wouldnt let me download my computer neatalizes it as a virus, and the afs did not work

0 Kudos
bj54
1 Nickel

Hi, this is my first time and I'm having the same problem as Davey D. I have a Dimension E521, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor. The OS is Windows Vista. I went into "Computer" and the E drive is gone, I checked "Device Mgr" and it shows the CD Rom but with an exclaimation mark. I clicked on it and the window that opened said "Windows could not find hardware" Error 39. I don't know what happened or why it's gone. As I'm not an expert on computers, I can get by most of the time. I had a HP for 6yrs and was able to fix most problems myself. This is the first time with Dell so any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank you

0 Kudos
sparelanes
1 Copper

Wow!!  I have also been having the same code 39 error message since October, have searched many forums spent countless hours trying registry fixes to no avail. 

I was about to try and return my dell deminsion E310 back to original factory settings when I decided to check this community one last time and ran across the SONY uninstaller fix.  I tried it and WOW it works.  I now have full function of my dvd drive. 

Thanks to everyone here.

0 Kudos
wall143
1 Copper

Hello, I could really use your help.  I have a Dell Studio 1535 Windows Vista Home Edition, my cd/dvd drive (TSST corp DVD+ -RW TS- T633A) is also coming up with this error message:  "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".  My laptop is brand new, I got it less than a week ago, and it all of a sudden stopped working 2 days ago.

I have tried all of the steps that you have listed above with no luck.  Is there anything else I can do to get this corrected?  Your help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
williamkidd
3 Argentium

I was about to try and return my dell deminsion E310 back to original factory settings when I decided to check this community one last time and ran across the SONY uninstaller fix.  I tried it and WOW it works.  I now have full function of my dvd drive. 

Thanks to everyone here.

Sparelanes, I know it's been a while since you posted this but I want to thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that you were able to fix your drive issue with one of the fixes listed here. I know what a hassle it can be to restore a system to its' original settings and I'm glad that we were able to help you avoid that. Be sure to check your discs to see if any were distributed by Sony BMG and if you get a chance please let us know what you think the disc may have been that caused the problem. Keep in mind that if you play another BMG disc in your drive that you may have to use the same procedure to fix it. You're welcome.

You can't believe everything that you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started. - PS3 commercial

0 Kudos
williamkidd
3 Argentium

@wall143

The first thing that I would suggest is for you to take a second look at the solution post in this thread (the one outlined in blue) as I made some changes the other day that could make a difference on your search results.

The next thing to do if that doesn't solve the issue is to find out if you installed a program that in turn installed a driver that interferes with cdrom.sys (the driver for your cd/dvd drive). You posted on 2/9 saying that it stopped working two days prior so you'll want to look at any programs that you may have installed around 2/6, 2/7, or anywhere in the week prior to 2/9. One way to check the programs that you have installed is to use a part of Windows Vista called the Reliability Monitor. Below I've listed the steps for checking that information.

How to determine installed programs using Reliability Monitor (Vista)

1) Click Start and type perfmon in the Search box (the one that says Start Search), then press Enter.

2) If the User Account Control (UAC) window appears, press Continue. The Reliability and Performance Monitor window should appear.

3) On the left-hand side of the new window, you'll see a folder called Monitoring Tools. If you do not see Performance Monitor and Reliability Monitor listed below the Monitoring Tools folder, click the little arrow to the left of the Monitoring Tools folder.

4) Click the Reliability Monitor and you will see a graph listed on the right-hand side of the window. The graph gives information about a few different things but we are interested in Software (Un)Installs which shows both installs and uninstalls of software on your system.

5) You should see alternating gray and white vertical lines in the graph and each line represents a day. Every other day is marked below the graph and if software is installed or uninstalled on a particular day it will show a white icon with a blue i inside (this is an informational icon). What you'll want to do is look in the graph for any of those informational icons that correspond to the week before 2/9. When you click on the graph for a day that includes an informational icon the information in the System Stability Chart (below the graph) will change to show you what happened on that particular day. In this case the information will show up in the System Stability Chart in the section entitled Software (Un)Installs for XX/XX/XXXX, where the X's represent the date that you have chosen in the graph. So take a look to see if there was anything that you installed during that time period and post it here.

0 Kudos