Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

July 18th, 2004 10:00

CD-RW problem after re-install

Hi,

I just re-installed my win2k, successfully but have a problem. My CD-RW is not working properly. It's able to read Cd-roms but the writing function is out of order i.e. i'm not able to burn any Cds and new CD-roms are not recognized.
I have re-installed all my drivers and the adaptec easy CD creator and Adapted DirectCD.

I don't seem to have a dedicated driver in my Dell Dimension ResourceCD, other than a DOS-use only driver (which i involves configuration of Exec.bat etc..)

So, please help if you can...

thanks in advance

Z

Dimension XPS b
Sony CD-RW CRX160E

241 Posts

July 18th, 2004 12:00

What version of Adaptec Easy CD are you running?

241 Posts

July 18th, 2004 14:00

There is an update but it is for vers. 4.04 bringing it from d10 to d11. I don't see any updates from your version (4.02). I checked the Roxio Site and they show nothing either.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R29396

5 Posts

July 18th, 2004 14:00

The Adaptec Easy CD creator supplied with my computer is version 4.02d_d5 (this is what's written on the dell disk)

15.3K Posts

July 19th, 2004 02:00

Hi Zurzu,

The Roxio information in my opinion is somewhat confusing, sort of says if you have version 4.04 (Dell) then do not use the 4.05 update but if you dig around, you can update from 4.0, 4.01, 4.02 to 4.05, strange....
Use this Dell link:

http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/search/index.asp

In the Search Field, type Easy CD Creator
you should find an update to 4.02e,
However you may wish to review the articles I have listed in Section 25, of the CD/RW link in my post. Many of the links to "Adaptec" Easy CD Creator" are dead due to them separating and forming Roxio, about the time I decide to clean up the stuff, someone e-mails thanking me the old articles, so I have left them for now.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 07-18-2004 11:25 PM

5 Posts

July 19th, 2004 10:00

I'll try all the above...thanks a lot, hope it works. The bloody thing worked perfectly untill i reformatted :(

Zurzu

10.9K Posts

July 19th, 2004 12:00

Hi Zurzu,

It looks like you have the latest verion of Adaptec Easy CD Creator per Dell.  It would
be better to be at version 4.05.

You said after formatting that the CDRW is "able to read Cd-roms but the writing function
is out of order i.e. i'm not able to burn any Cds and new CD-roms are not recognized." 
When you say new CD-ROMs, do you mean blank ones?  Are you receiving any specfic error
codes?

5 Posts

July 21st, 2004 18:00

That's seems to be the case, i have the latesd ADapted per Dell, i've tried to upgrade but to no avail. In any case, if the cd-burner worked before re-formatting shouldn't it work now as well without having to update adaptec?

Yes, the drive can read any type of CD-rom, when i insert a blanc CD nothing happens i.e. adaptec does not react and i can't do any burning.
If i try do burn some data with EAsy CD creator: i press the burn button, The CD creation setup window appears with the correct device (f:), when i choose ok it starts working, gets stuck on "Searching for test files" for forever and a day, i have to cancel or it would go on forever. After i cancel i get the messsage that errors were reported by device and that's it.

the current drivers for the device are Microsoft drivers.
Dell only supplied the following:

Sony Sony CD-R/W Driver for DOS
Information and Installation Instructions
Sony IDE CD-R/W Driver
Information and Installation Instructions
Note: This driver is for use when in DOS mode only.

Follow the steps below to install the Sony IDE CD-R/W Driver.

1.Add the following line to your “Autoexec.bat� file: device=path\atapi_cd.sys /d:MSCD001

Where path is the directory you copied the necatapi.sys file to.

2. Add the following line to your “Config.sys� file: path\mscdex.exe /d:MSCD001

Where path is the directory containing your mscdex.exe file.

i have not done this because i don't understand a word of it :(

thats it, i hope someone can help

thanks in advance

Zurzu
No Events found!