Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2006 21:00

CD and DVD

my previous Dell had the following CD/DVD hardware:
DC ROM/DVD ROM: Dual Drives: 48X CD-RW Drive + CD R6DVR 16x DVD+RW/+R w/double layer.

My new Dell Desk Top has the following:
TSST CORP. CD-RW TS-HS923
AND
NEC DVD+RW ND 3530 A.

I can not write to a DVD disk. I can to a CD. I thought I ordered the same type of drives.

Can anyone help decipher the above drives.

Thanks,

Jerry

15.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2006 21:00

Hi Jerry,

The NEC drive is indeed a DVD burner.
Here is your User Guide:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P90574/en/intro.htm

Usually the first thing support will suggest, try a different brand of media, some drives are picky.
Dell did however release a firmware update for the drive, listed here:

NEC 3530A

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

14 Posts

August 8th, 2006 03:00

Dear Sir,
i have a dell dimension 3000 i had it close 2 years, and i love it BUT theres times when i want to scream!  my computer has a combination  cd/dvd rom drive, i cant understand why it can burn CD'S but at the same time it wont burn DVDS .i used the Dell Experience program it works but on sniplets of video clips i try everything i know of to  burn a  dvd on my computer.pardon my sudidpity but.Do i need to install DVD Burner?
thanks
sandy lovejoy

Message Edited by SANDY028601 on 08-07-200611:20 PM

472 Posts

August 8th, 2006 05:00

The drive you describe CD-R/DVD-Rom cannot burn DVDs. It can only read them.

If you wish to burn DVDs then you will have to add an additional drive (or replace the one you have) with a DVD/RW, whether it is DVD+ or DVD- ( or both ). I do not know of any DVD/RW drives which cannot burn CDs, so you can simply replace the drive you have.

Also, assuming you may want to burn DVD-9 disks (8.5 gb) you should look for a dual-layer device.
No Events found!