Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2004 03:00

Can't open a DVD/RW or DVD/R on my DVD/CD ROM Drive

On my 8400 for some reason, all of a sudden when I burn a DVD/RW or DVD/R on my Plextor 712SA Drive "E" and try to open it up in my DVD/CD Rom Drive "D" the burned DVD is not recognized. The DVD/CD rom drive would green flash for about 15 seconds and then just go out.

If I go to My Computer and click on the D drive all I see is an empty page. I could open these DVD/RW & DVD R on my "E" drive where my burner is without any problems. I also don't have any problems reading CD/RW or CD/R  thru the "D" drive. It just looks like my DVD/CD Rom drive is not recognizing my DVDs.

I've been using Fujifilm and Maxell DVD/RW and Taiyo Yuden DVD/R. At one time everything was working, unfortunatly I haven't a Restore Point for that time.

Any suggestions.

Thank you

Andrew

228 Posts

September 29th, 2004 03:00

Forgot to add my DVD/CD rom is a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S.

Andrew

1.3K Posts

September 29th, 2004 05:00

I had this problem last year with vanishing CD/DVD burners in Windows XP. This might help

http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm - Go to restore Missing CD Drive.

15.3K Posts

September 29th, 2004 07:00

Hi Andrew,

To add with Carolyn`s, Dell has released a firmware update for this drive, you may wish to review it, use the Downloads link under Product Support.

Take care

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 09-29-2004 04:41 AM

228 Posts

September 29th, 2004 11:00

Jeff, I tried Product Support, there are 3 Firmware updates there but none for the Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S. I did notice there was a A02 BIOS update for the 8400.

Thank you

Andrew

15.3K Posts

September 29th, 2004 17:00

Hi Andrew,

Look at Section 5-1-01, article 11 of the CD/RW site. This is the one Dell-Stehen listed for the drive.

Take care

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

228 Posts

September 29th, 2004 19:00

Hi Jeff, as of about 15 minutes ago I realized why I couldn't read DVD from my "D" drive. It turned out to be a "Dummy Me" reason. Here goes, don't laugh.

My last 6 Dell Dimension desk tops, I always configured my PC with a 16X  DVD/Rom or CD/Rom (whatever X was going at the time). With the 8400 I configured, not really clear what a Dual Drive was and never having a DVD/RW burner. What I should of configured was the 16XDVD Rom Drive+16XDVD+DVD+RW/+R instead I configured 48XCD-RW Drive+16XDVD+RW/+R (Samsung CD-R/RW SW252s) which happens to be a CD/RW burner which I didn't realize (Dummy Me again).

In other words you can't read DVDs from a CD-RW drive which in the past I thought I was doing but wasn't which means all my DVDs have to be read from my DVD burner (E drive).

Thanks for all you help, like I said before, don't laugh

Andrew

No Events found!