Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2008 14:00

Cant install windows XP32 on SATA2 config...

I have a brand new Dell XPS 730x with 6 GIG RAM, Intel i7 64-bit processor, and one SATA2 500 GIG hard drive.
It came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 pre-installed...
I am trying to run a program that is only compatible with windows xp32bit.
I already have done everything from re-formatting the hard drive and erasing it of vista 64... to partitioning it... to running a virtual window with XP in it...
None of them have worked...
The problem is that when i try to install XP, when it comes time to select the drive to install it is unable to locate any hard drive.... I am unable to load drivers to enable this because it requests for the drivers to be on a floppy, and the machine came without one installed on it...
I go to computer shops, but it is against their secret code to inform me how to do it, they just tell me I will not be able to. However they could do it for me "no problem" but it will cost me $100... I follow instructions very well... If they could do it I could do it.... If i need to get supplies I will get them... I just want to get it done..
I have an old ATA hard drive with XP already on it...
I purchased an adapter so it can connect to the motherboard...
Still I have had no luck...
I am not running a RAID config...
I have tried the thumbdrive technique...
I have tried but am unable to access the bcdedit.exe (and i heard that is for after XP is installed)...
I understand that XP32 has to be installed first if it is on one hard drive...
I would prefer to be able to use the old hard drive for XP(since it is already installed), and the new one for vista64... and then just dual boot...
Every which way I try to install XP it never sees either of the hard drives...
Please help me... Do i need to change **** in the BIOS? Do I need a cable? Do i need to download a special driver?
Can someone please tell me how to do this?

5 Posts

December 29th, 2008 18:00

I actually discovered how to do it several ways...

The first way would to be as you said connect the floppy directly to the motherboard... however i would need a sata2 to floppy connector...

While i was looking at the layout, i glanced upon an IDE port right on the darn thang... so i ripped out an old ribbon from a deceased PC, and attached my hard drive right to it, and connected the power supply.... made a few changes to the bios, and presto....

As well as these ways, there is a process i found called "slipstreaming"... u guys can check it out here

How To: Slipstream your XP installation - Page 2 | Maximum PC

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 11:00

Hello,

:emotion-55: I guess the forth way is just to use an XP SP2 or later install disk. :emotion-55:

XP SP2 has the SATA drivers already on the disk. :emotion-21:

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 11:00

Oops!! Forgot to add ...

:emotion-55: Dell computers require a specific order for installing Windows or many problems can result. :emotion-55:

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

No Events found!