Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2013 13:00

Canton datasticks

I don't know if Dell makes the above named product or not but when I searched Google for 'Canton data sticks' a link came up to Dell products. I hope this is a Dell product because I have no idea how to find out who makes these if it's not Dell.

I bought 4 of the 64g from WalMart in November or December of 2012. I transferred all of my pictures to one of them, videos to another, documents to another and my real estate business docs & pictures to the 4th. The one I transferred all of my pictures to is now telling me I have to format it. If I do that I'll lose all of my pictures. If this is a Dell product is there a way for Dell to get my pictures off of this data stick to save them and send me another data stick to replace this one? I DO NOT want to lose the pictures I transferred to it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 20th, 2013 15:00

Hi Myrealtr,

There is a brand of flash drives called Centon. Is that what you've got? These are not made by Dell.

I'm very sorry to hear about your inoperable flash drive. There may be some strategies for salvaging at least some of the data.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 21st, 2013 08:00

Walmart Carries CENTON.  They are very poorly made very cheap drives.

You could try Data Recovery software. 

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Piriform.com.

ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) does a deeper scan than Recuva,

which is useful for disks that are so corrupted that Windows will not recognize them. 

The scan takes much longer:  4-6 hours for a 2 GB SD card.

The free version of ZAR will only restore photos.  If other file types need to be restored, the full version of the program must be purchased.  ZAR is available from z-a-recovery.com

5 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 06:00

Thanks for the help. I haven't had a chance to check back to this site to try any suggestions as of yet. My husband took very itll and has been in the hospital where I have been spending most of my time. I will get back to the problem with my date stick once my husband is discharged and home again. I will try this suggestion to retrieve my photos and let you know if I was able to do so. I appreciate the information. Thanks.

5 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 06:00

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry I haven't been able to get back before now. Life has been very busy lately but I appreciate your response.  I did purchase them from WalMart, 4 of them in fact. I guess I'll take all of my data off of them and consider it a lesson learned. I guess that's why the price was so good.  I will try these suggestions as soon as I can and let you know if I'm able to save my data. This one does have only pictures on it. Thanks again.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2013 08:00

I thank all of you. I did not know there had been any answers to my question even as late as this morning when I checked. The Dell site indicated there were 'no answers' when I found my question. I don't know why but I re-posted it so please ignore my second request. I'm thrilled to get these suggestions. Thanks for all of the help. I'm sooooo anxious to retrieve my  pictures and hope something here will help. I do so appreciate your replies. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 28th, 2013 16:00

Sorry we couldn't provide more help. Good luck. It's heart-breaking to lose pictures like that.

79 Posts

June 30th, 2013 06:00

The number one thing is to not initialize or format the drive, this will cause some permanent data loss.  These cards most often get corrupted when they are not 'safely removed' from the computer and the computer doesn't have a chance to properly flush the updated FAT32 tables.  Always, always Safe Remove and wait for the computer to confirm it is OK to detach for any external storage device.

If you have tried some of these things posted and haven't had any luck don't freak out, call Gillware 877-624-7206 and tell them your story and be sure sure to mention you got referred by Dell.  They'll email you a shipping label that you can use to send in the card.  They'll look at it for free and you only pay them when you actually recover the data.    

No Events found!