Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 10:00

Changing IDE to AHCI in Studio XPS 1640

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to clean install Windows 10 onto a new SSD drive.

How to you change from IDE to AHCI mode prior to installation on the Studio XPS 1640?

How do you enable Trim mode?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 16:00

Hi Stock4j,

I assume you have a complete backup of your system drive and files before installing the new drive and OS.

To change the SATA controller mode, boot to the BIOS (F2). There will be two or three options, ATA, RAID, and AHCI. Choose AHCI or RAID if AHCI is not available.

You do not need to enable TRIM. With a clean install, TRIM should be enabled automatically in Win 10.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2015 11:00

Since it is a new install you will need to restart the computer and enter your bios setup screen prior to running Windows setup. Navigate to your SATA operation or hard drive setup screen. There should be a selection to choose ether ATA mode or AHCI mode. Choose AHCI and save the configuration and close. Reboot, make sure your windows 10 disk is in the drive. The system will recognize that you are installing to an SSD drive and automatically enable TRIM mode. 

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 20:00

Hi osprey4,

I do indeed have a backup of files such as Documents, Pictures, Video Media, Downloads, and Contacts, etc. but not sure what you mean by system drive. All of these are on my system Drive, is that what you mean? I'm a little confused as you mention System drive, and, files.

I any case, thank you for your answer.

Regards

Peter

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 21:00

Thank you coffebrk for your advise.

Peter

No Events found!