Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2011 19:00

DVD/CD ROM drive not reading DVD-RW; CDs and commercial DVDs fine

We have an Inspiron 530S (desktop) loaded with Windows Vista Home Basic (Service Pack 2). We have Roxio Creator 10.2 to burn CDs/DVDs, and we have used this to back up data files without any problem.  Recently, when we load a DVD-RW disc to read or a new disc to format, the drive does not recognize the disc.  The light that typically remains solid on the front of the tower when data is being read only blinks.  When we browse to the drive and select the DVD/CD ROM drive to expand or open it, we get "Please insert a disc".  When we try to open through Roxio, same thing:  "No disc".  Commercially recorded movies on DVD can be viewed, for the most part, and I've tried the disc to load my work printer successfully as well.  I've run diagnostics, and everything checks out.  I've updated firmware, but to no avail.  I would consider a new DVD/CD drive, except that some types of discs are working.  Also, in my device manager, when I right-click the DVD/CD drive and select properties, it lists the device as a CD ROM drive (no mention of DVD).  Is that pertinent?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 1st, 2011 20:00

It sounds like you may havw backed up data files using drag-and-drop method which uses DLA which is rather problematic.

You should be using Roxio to create a data DVD and use a DVD-RW.

7 Posts

July 1st, 2011 21:00

A new, unrecorded DVD-RW is unresponsive, as well, whether through Roxio or My Computer:  "Recently, when we load a DVD-RW disc to read or a new disc to format, the drive does not recognize the disc... When we browse to the drive and select the DVD/CD ROM drive to expand or open it, we get "Please insert a disc".  When we try to open through Roxio, same thing:  "No disc"."

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2011 04:00

Hi SCManatee,

Have you tried the old upper and lower filter trick?

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 09:00

Osprey:  I ran the MS Fix it "wizard" for the upper and lower filter trick from your link above.  When I use a DVD-RW disc to test, I have the following response:  "Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable.  The drive is empty or the media format is not supported."  The same disc works fine in my laptop computer, and this disc has worked in this computer in the past.  

If I test using a CD or a commercially recorded DVD, the wizard indicates the problem has been fixed.  When I put the DVD-RW disc back in, however, it is still not recognized.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2011 04:00

Go to Osprey's Toolbox (link below) and grab DVD Identifier and see if the media code of a blank DVD-RW disc can be read with that program running.

7 Posts

July 5th, 2011 22:00

Osprey:  I downloaded the InstallIQ Updater, but when I attempt to launch the DVD Burning Software, I have a message that "the trial period has expired".  Do I need to run the program in a different manner?

7 Posts

July 5th, 2011 22:00

Oh, and I noticed you suggest avoiding Memorex... the blank DVD with which I'm working is Memorex.  Oops.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 6th, 2011 06:00

Ok, please try DVD Identifier.

7 Posts

July 6th, 2011 07:00

So sorry... I overlooked that specific hyperlink.  Having downloaded the correct application now, I ran the DVD Identifier and have the following message:

[09:35:50] Waiting For Drive To Initialize Disc...

[09:35:52] ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Medium not present [02/3A/00]

Both blank DVDs I've tried are Memorex brand:  one is DVD+RW and the other is DVD+R.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 6th, 2011 17:00

Ok, well, your drive doesn't like Memorex, that's for sure. Have these Memorex discs worked for you in the past?

Also can you tell me the model of your DVD drive. You can find it in device manager.

7 Posts

July 6th, 2011 22:00

The Memorex discs have worked in the past, though I can only put my hands on one onto which I have backed up some files.  I have been able both to burn to and read from these discs in the past.

The DVD drive is listed in the Device Manager properties as HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N ATA / CD-ROM Drive.  I believe I saw in the start-up diagnostics the Hitachi/LG brand name.  I found a couple other pleas for help for this same spec, but the only one with a resolution involved a firmware update that is not helping me.

No Events found!