Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 11:00

DVD Playback Issue

Howdy folks, thanks in advance for the help.

I'm having trouble playing DVDs on my laptop (Dell 6400/E1505). The drive plays Audio CDs as well as burned DVDs, but does not play regular movies. I've upgraded the firmware on the drive (TS-L462D) to the latest version, but it hasn't helped.

When I put a DVD into the drive, it shuffles around for a while, I get the CD loading logo on my screen, but then it stops and nothing. At that point, in the My Computer, the DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:) icon changes and is called CD Drive.

I'm not sure what's going on, and I'd like to try to troubleshoot the issue before replacing the drive, but I'm not sure where to go from here...

note - I'm using VLN Media Player.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 17:00

Hi, Lifeinoleg:

Try this. Insert the disc and wait for the computer to stop reading it. Open My Computer, right click your DVD drive and select Explore. Tell me if you see the audio and video folders there. If not, reboot into safe mode and try it there.

Let me know what happens.

October 22nd, 2009 18:00

hey this generally happens if u have autoplay enabled for the cds... disable the autoplay for the disc drive and then try again..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 23:00

Osprey, I tried to do what you said both in normal and safe modes and nothing came up when I selected explore. It's as if it doesn't know there's a DVD in there.

vishnusivathe, I did not have autoplay enabled. The setting I had was "Prompt me each time to choose an action." I switched that to "Take no action," but nothing changed. The drive reacted exactly the same way when I put in a DVD.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 24th, 2009 09:00

I would try running the Dell diagnostics on your drive. Sounds like your DVD lens has gone dodgy. You may need to replace the drive.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 24th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for your help.

I just bit the bullet and replaced the drive with another from a laptop I had laying around and it works.

I suppose it was indeed a hardware issue.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 24th, 2009 17:00

Good to hear!

No Events found!