Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2006 12:00

DVD +R Dual Layer burn errors

I’m having problems burning a dual-layer DVD. My drive is a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B Drive --the LG OEM drive which came installed in my Dell Dimension 9150. I use the drive mainly for backup. I can burn and read single-layer DVDs o.k.

However, when I use a Dual Layer, the DVD formats o.k., begins the backup, but hangs up after writing 4.18Gb (I assume this is around the time when it has filled Layer 1 and needs to start writing Layer 2). The error message is: ‘A defective or damaged area was detected on the media. The backup device failed to transfer the data’. Sonic Disc Information reports that the DVD is a backup, closed, containing Border1 and 01-Zone 4,187.4Mb

The media I am using is Ricoh DVD+R DL 8x —which should be o.k. Even if the drive is slower, it should cope o.k. with the media and simply write at a slower rate. The backup software I am using is Sonic BackupMyPC Deluxe v8.0 (which integrates well with the Sonic DVD-LE software pre-installed by Dell), which supports dual-layer DVD +R.

The problem could be the drive, the firmware, the Sonic software or the media. The drive’s firmware is D108 (08-03-23-01-0200). I can’t find any firmware upgrade on Dell’s site.

Anyone got any suggestions?

February 17th, 2006 14:00

Thanks for this. However, Sonic BackupMyPC (which is very savvy about media types) DOES support backup to dual layer DVDs and does expect to format them (in its own way). The Backup program DID recognise the DVD as a dual-layer, which I could tell by the way it charted backup progress up until the point where it stopped with the error message.

Granted that it did not complete correctly on this occasion, but in principle it should do so.

10.9K Posts

February 17th, 2006 14:00

Formating a disc is for packet writing.  I do not use Dual-layer discs,
but I think it cannot be used the manner that you are attempting.  The
Dual-layer is not recognizable and it sees only a single-layer.

You likely need to burn the back-up through the burning software as a
Data disc.

2.1K Posts

February 17th, 2006 21:00

@Mike Gatehouse wrote:
Thanks for this. However, Sonic BackupMyPC (which is very savvy about media types) DOES support backup to dual layer DVDs and does expect to format them (in its own way). The Backup program DID recognise the DVD as a dual-layer, which I could tell by the way it charted backup progress up until the point where it stopped with the error message.

Granted that it did not complete correctly on this occasion, but in principle it should do so.

Then Sonic would be the one to contact! There may be an update for the software of some specific advice in using it..

Most backup programs do use packet writing so formatting is required for them to work.
No Events found!