Highlighted
jkoppela
Copper

DVD drive reads very slow

Jump to solution

Hi

Recently I purchased Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop. When I insert the Disc into the DVD drive, If I open or copying from the DVD or CD..it is slow. For MBs data also its taking hrs time. Could you please suggest to increase the performance of the DVD/CD drive.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
speedstep
Diamond

Re: DVD drive reads very slow

Jump to solution

Dirty or scratched or discs recorded at high speed may not read very fast due to multiple retry's.  This can also put the drive in PIO instead of DMA mode due to errors. DVD's should be recorded at 1X or 2X for maximum compatibility.

Symptom :

• Everytime you use your DVD/CD the CPU usage shoot up close to 90.
  • Your CD/DVD burning session is longer than it should be.
  • The CD/DVD drive lights keep flashing like morse code signal

Usually this is caused by your CD/DVD drive is using PIO mode instead of DMA. Under normal circumstances, you can easily instruct Windows to use DMA when accessing CD/DVD drive whenever possible, but in rare cases windows will still use PIO mode even though you’ve changed the setting.

The cause

This is caused by Windows permanently disable DMA mode for your CD/DVD driver after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations (usually caused by reading bad CDs)

Windows will automatically disable DMA mode for the particular CD/DVD drive permanently, because it believe that you hardware is failing, but this is not usually the case.

Turn Direct Memory Access (DMA) on or off

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Direct memory access (DMA) is usually turned on by default for devices such as hard disks and CD or DVD drives that support DMA. However, you might need to turn on DMA manually if the device was improperly installed or if a system error occurred.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the left pane, click the plus sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand it.

3. For each icon that has the word Channel as part of its label, right-click the icon, and then click Properties.

4. Click the Advanced Settings tab, and then, under Device Properties, select or clear the Enable DMA check box.

5. Click OK.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro