Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2016 10:00

Data recovery from a HDD

I got error code: 2000-0151 when I tested my HDD, I know I need to replace it but I was wondering if there is any way to recover data from it? Had a lot of sentimental photos I don't have copies of.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 17th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Unfortunately we at Dell do not  help or deal with data backup or recovery. We would suggest you to contact a local tech for the same.

Thanks

Robin

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 17th, 2016 12:00

I got error code: 2000-0151 when I tested my HDD, I know I need to replace it but I was wondering if there is any way to recover data from it? Had a lot of sentimental photos I don't have copies of.

mike7185

Depending on how damaged the hard drive is, try removing the failed hard drive and use an USB adaptor similar to THIS , then attach the hard drive to a USB port of a working computer and see if you can transfer the files and folders you need, to the computer.

Note: Only data files and folders can be transferred, any applications, utlities and programs, need to be reinstalled from their CD's, or downloaded from the publisher's website

Bev.

11 Posts

November 20th, 2016 18:00

Hello mike7185,

I would suggest you to download Stellar Phoenix Windows data recovery software to recover data from the affected hard drive.

Kindly notice, don’t download this tool on the same drive from which you want to recover your data, as it may lead to data overwritten issue.

Thanks!!

1 Message

October 21st, 2017 00:00

Hello, mike7185! Your question has been over a year, my answer must be too late. I had successfully restored many lost documents, pictures and video files from my Dell's HDD. Here are my suggestions:
1) First, remove the broken HDD from your Dell computer. Use the USB to IDE / SATA Adapter to connect your HDD to another working computer, as described by shesagordie. If your HDD is not seriously damaged, you may be able to transfer files and folders from your HDD to this computer.
2) If you can NOT find the missing files, you need to install a comprehensive data recovery tool on the working computer, then use it to scan your HDD. In addition, if you just want to restore the picture files, you only need a professional photo recovery software, as it is scanning faster than a comprehensive data recovery tool.
Hoping to help those encounter similar problems in the future.

1 Message

November 21st, 2017 11:00

Suggest you try PHOTOREC and TESTDISK. Both are freeware from the same developer. I have used them both in instances where regular forensic tools were not available. Be sure to save the recovered files to another disk at least the same size as your original. Have everything ready to go - you may only get one chance.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2019 18:00

Want to recover data from the HDD, usually only through the software. The software I use is AnyRecover, which provides a mode for hard drive recovery, which is cool. I can use it to recover photos from HDD.

8 Posts

August 26th, 2020 00:00

Yes, of course, you can restore data from an external hard drive by using some of the best manual solutions like recovery from backup or attrib command. In case, both the given solutions won’t work, then you can try the most recommended external hard drive data recovery tool to restore your data from HDD easily. All the very best to you…

74 Posts

August 26th, 2020 05:00

1.Download and Install Disk Drill for Windows or Mac OS X. 2.Dispatch Disk Drill recuperation programming, select the slammed hard circle and snap: ... 3.Review the records you found with Quick or Deep Scan. ... 4.Snap Recover catch to recoup your lost information
No Events found!