Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 20th, 2018 05:00

Dell Dock WD15 service tag

Hi, I bought Dell Dock WD15 and I wanted to add it to my account on dell.com, but I cannot find service tag. On device is only PPID. How can I find service tag for this device? Thanks for answer.

1 Message

October 17th, 2018 12:00

I have 2 WD15s that no longer work and should be under warranty, they are not even a year old.  One has a  SVC, PPID and express service code and the other just has a PPID code.

None of these codes work when look up the warranty.  I'm figuring a good ol fashion phone call would do the trick to get them replaced....well hopefully.

What's up Dell? What's your response? the good people are waiting!

1 Message

October 17th, 2018 16:00

Hello, my purchase in this website: , warranty dell is very good product, i prefer this.

October 25th, 2018 16:00

It seems that DELL have washed their hands of support on this topic as there has been no further correspondence, they were shown that the new batch stickers have no service tags. We have recently purchased over 200 of these docks and they all have no service Tag, only the PPID and MAC Address. You cannot look them up on dell support anywhere using the PPID or parts of it. Also note, there is another PPID on the outside of the box, it is DIFFERENT to the PPID on the bottom of the dock and also cannot be used as an identifier. How can we do online warranty status checks without this information and without having to sit on the phone for 30 minutes each time? Come on Dell, at least help us out.

4 Posts

October 26th, 2018 00:00

I have contacted the Dell Moderator (Jesse) twice about this issue suggesting that he close the discussion thread. It is quite obvious that due to a manufacturing fault that a large number of these docking stations have been delivered to customers without service tags.  However, Dell has no interest in solving the problem, so basically we are wasting our time trying to get them to sort it out.  As you say - they have washed their hands of the issue.

1 Message

December 7th, 2018 02:00

I just phoned up Dell Support and gave them the PPID number and that was good enough, they could find all the details from that and they are sending a new Dock out.

December 9th, 2018 14:00

I had a slightly different experience than that the 2 times I called in the last month. Both times I gave the PID and both times I was told they needed the order number or the Service Tag of the device that connects to it. I used service tag of the laptop it was for and they logged it against that. These docks are the biggest piles of junk. I've found with screen flickering and the dock disconnecting from the laptop that 9 times out of 10 the actual cable from dock to laptop is the issue. There is some kind of tollerance issues with the cable and laptop. To fix it I can change out the cable from another dock and it is then fine in the same laptop, that faulty cable is then fine in a different laptop in a different dock too.

February 5th, 2019 07:00

I noticed when unpacking the docks that the cable has a slight kink in each one.  They probably should ship them as two separate parts like the power adapters or in a bigger box so the cable does not have to kink like that...Thanks for the info, will be getting my order numbers and PIDs together.

@basijan I will be using MAC addresses if there are no Service Tags to Identify these devices.

1 Message

February 13th, 2019 20:00

Hi, I bought some new WD15 dockingstations. I have an issue with a docking, so I called for support. They asked me provide ServiceTag or Ordered Number. On docking WD15, it only have PPID, MAC address. Unfortunately, I didn't save Ordered number while was receiving the package. How can I proceed to claim for supporting this case? Thanks all,

4 Posts

February 14th, 2019 00:00

Lots of docking stations have been manufactured without service tags, and unfortunately Dell won't acknowledge the problem officially. Sometimes they'll accept the Tag number for a laptop, but not always.

9 Posts

May 1st, 2019 14:00

Docking stations are only covered under a 1 year manufacturer warranty if purchased as a standalone and not on the same order of the system it's being in use with.  The PPID verifies the age of the dock for Dell reps and should be all that's needed to get replaced.  The dock cannot be replaced if there is any damages under the manufacturer warranty, but if the dock was purchased with the system and the system has Accidental Damage warranty, the AD warranty can be used to cover for the replacement.  When calling into tech support, you should give the Service tag/express service code of the system to dock is being used with and the agent will be able to verify if it qualifies for a warranty replacement or not.  Dell has gotten rid of the Service tag on docking stations since they are considered peripherals (they don't have a screen, hard drive, memory or act like a desktop/monitor/laptop/server)  and whenever agents would search the tag, it wouldn't pull up any info for the dock. I hope this helps some of you who still have questions about this.  

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306267/how-to-find-the-ppid-piece-part-identification-on-dell-poweredge-parts?lang=en

1 Message

June 12th, 2019 12:00

I think I figured it out. I had the same problem. Had two docks that only had the PPID number, just like what others were talking about. I opened up a support chat window under the serial number of my laptop, and I was able to talk with the dell agent about the docks. He asked for the serial number/service tag, and I gave him the PPID number just to see what would happen, and they took it just like a serial number and didn't say anything about it. I'm not sure if it was just labeled wrong or something on my dock, but the PPID appeared to work just as fine as the serial number. It may not be the same for everybody else, but it's definitely worth a try.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

July 17th, 2019 08:00

Sad to see that Dell doesn't think this is an issue.

I have 4 docks with various issues.   Trying to look online to check warrant status / Enter Support tickets for these..    

One of my numbers is  CN-00J5C6-12966-XXX-XXXX-A05  (XXXed out the unique parts of the number)

Tried entering that into the Warranty Look up page and it doesn't accept it or any portion of it.

Message: Invalid service tag. Please try again or contact technical support

Any suggestions asside from opening up a chat based on an existing Computer Serial Number ? 

Thank you,

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 15:00

The easiest way to find the service tag: Google 'WD15 Dock Support'. If you used Google, it will be the first site Download the firmware Utility: Dell Wired Dock (WD15) / Docking Monitor Stand (DS1000) Firmware Update Utility When you open the utility, look on the left side and you'll see the dock's service tag. This only works when the dock is still in a semi-usable state and the PC still detects it. If it gets no power at all, then do what others have suggested and call or chat with support and give them the PPID.

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 15:00

Sorry. Upon further inspection, it gave me the service tag of the laptop it's connected to, not the dock. Why a dock firmware utility would give the laptop info and not the dock's info is beyond me.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 26th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your message. This docking station does not have a service tag.

To get support on the device, you must use the PPID & the warranty will be validated with the purchase invoice.

To add the device to your list, you will have to use the order if purchased from Dell.

If there are any unresolved issues with the device, please private message the following details.

Brief description of the issue.
Registered name -
Email address-
Device PPID -
Purchase invoice copy -

No Events found!