Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2009 12:00

Dell Download Error

Having problems burning DVD's  (NEC DVD +-RW ND3530A) - trying to download new drivers/firmwareKeep getting the same message "An unexpected error has occurred.  Please close the Dell driver download manager and try again."

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

4 Posts

Thanks, I'll try.  I was reading earlier threads and saw the one about the Microsoft "Fix It".  I went through that process and it said the drive is not capable of burning DVD's...

6.4K Posts

Don't use the driver download manager; clear out your cookies so that you get the choice to download direct via web browser and use that.  The download manager has been a problem since it was introduced about six months ago.

Also, be sure you are using the right download for your DVD burner.  There are no drivers on the Dell site for the DVD drive as these are already incorporated into Windows.  The files are firmware designed to correct assorted problems.  If it is one of those problems you are having, the firmware may help, but the wrong file will brick the drive.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 13:00

JackShack - I've deleted all cookies and  I've removed the Dell Download Manager from my installed programs.  I entered my service tag # and it brought up available downloads for my particular computer.  I found the firmware download for the NEC DVD drive but whenever I try to download it, it tries to make me do it through the Dell Download Manager...how can I download without using the download manager?

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 14:00

Finally was able to get to the "download via browser" button (had to physically go into the browser history/view files and clear out the cookies that way).  Clicked on the download button, the green progress bars at the bottom of the screen went all the way across, and then, nothing.  Tried several times, but it doesn't appear the firmware downloaded...

6.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 14:00

How do you know that it didn't install?  Firmware isn't like a driver; you don't always get a dialog box asking if you want to install it, and you generally don't see any confirmation of the installation.

Try clicking on the file name that you see after you have expanded the category.  You should see a description of the file having a download button beneath it, followed by several menu items that give more information about the file and how to use it.  Use that download button rather than anything you might have seen earlier at the right side of the screen.  When you click on it you should get a dialog box that asks if you want to run or save the file; select to save.  You should then get the opportunity to select a folder in which to save the file.  I recommend you create a new folder in your My Documents folder and tell it to save the file in that.  Placing it on your desktop is not a good idea as a quirk in Windows XP will sometimes refuse to allow you to delete it from the desktop.

Once you have the file saved you should be able to double click on it from there; it should autoextract and be loaded into the eprom on the drive.

No Events found!