Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

Dell Studio - Hard Disk Replacement

Ive replaced the hard drive within my dell studio 1555, this is a completely new hard drive which ive installed. Once I boot my computer I get the error: PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-061: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM Apparently this is the main cause of the bios or CMOS not being updated or installed? I still need to install windows but my boot disc won't boot despite me selecting the cd ... However if I put in the true image recovery disc this will boot. Can anyone help me get it to the point where I have a fresh install of windows ....

6.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 20:00

The message you're seeing indicates that the computer is attempting to boot from a network server, which naturally is unavailable.  I assume that you have modified the boot order in System Setup (F2 during the self test screen after starting the computer) to place the optical drive ahead of everything else, or that you are using F12 during that same screen to use the one-time boot selection.  Unfortunately, the disk was not recognized so the computer dropped to the next device in the boot order list to try finding boot code.

Some optical drives have difficulty recognizing bootable media, and sometimes the bootable media itself is compromised in some fashion.  I was told once that it is sometimes possible to get a bootable installation disk by cloning the bootable disk to a writable disk and using that second disk to boot.  Evidently the reflection ratio between "ones" and "zeros" on the writable disk was a bit higher than the original and allowed the optical drive on the computer to recognize and boot from it.

You can also try using a USB optical drive; sometimes a second drive will boot from a disk that your built-in drive won't touch.

August 23rd, 2012 03:00

Thank you for the quick reply.

With regards to the disk I've attempted a number of different disks written at different speeds and it just doesn't seem to want to work at all. Could it be because there is nothing on the hard drive at all? Don't I need to install drivers or anything? I've found the link below which explains what it should do should I download the ISO and give that ago?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/dell-studio-1555-hard-drive-failure-factory-image/f4666313-d1b3-4cd9-86ba-a1288b9a0d8f?msgId=de15863e-6f90-4361-9e2e-3aabf7dfd6eb&tm=1345710089324

Shaun Swales

6.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 11:00

Hard disk drives are not sold with a pre-installed operating system; they're blank.  In order to recover you will need to boot from a disk or USB device that is bootable and contains the files necessary for installation of Windows or whatever other operating system you wish to use.  The links I placed in my first post are for reinstallation of Windows.

If you decide to download an .ISO of your operating system, you should know that it may not activate automatically.  If that occurs you will need to use the telephone number given during the installation process to contact Microsoft for an activation key.

No Events found!