Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 3rd, 2011 03:00

Dell TSSTcorp DVD -RW TS-H653B firmware

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 530s desktop with a TSSTcorp DVD -RW TS-H653B DVD Drive. The dell support website shows the latest Firmware as D300. I was told by a friend that the TSST drive is actually a Samsung drive. He says Samsung has a newer firmware D400. I looked and indeed they do have a newer firmware of D400. I was going to use the live update software Samsung provides but I wanted to check with Dell first to make sure this will work? It seems like Dell doesn't always update the drivers on the Support site. I don't know why this is. So I want to make sure it will work before proceeding.

Thank You for your time

Bill

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2011 06:00

Hi Bill,

TSSTCorp is a JV of Samsung and Toshiba.

Before you try the third party firmware, are you having problems with your drive? If not, I wouldn't try it. If you are, I'd try the Dell f/w first.

150 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 14:00

I get alot of coasters. I have tried many different brands of cd and burning software. I think before I try to flash it I am going to buy a new drive. Something I can update to the newest firmware without worry. Who makes the best cd dvd burner in your opinion?

150 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 19:00

Is there a way that I can ask Dell to update the Firmware for this drive??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2011 10:00

You didn't tell me if you tried the Dell firmware. Of course, if you're going to replace the drive anyway, there's no harm trying the Samsung firmware.

150 Posts

January 4th, 2011 13:00

I have the latest firmware Dell provides which is version D300.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2011 04:00

Then there's no harm trying the Samsung firmware. The firmware should work on your drive, but whether that solves the problem is anybody's guess.

No Events found!