Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2013 21:00

Dell xps 8100; Error 2000-0142 hard drive fail 0 Self test Status 79

Hi guys, I have been wandering around the forums for a few hours now looking for ana answer to this question and can't seem to find anything clear. I have an XPS 8100 that I have run diagnostics on and have received a 2000-0142 error code which says MSG: error code 2000-0142 Hard drive FAIL 0 self test Status: 79 I think based on what I am reading throughout the forum is that this is a drive failure and the only recourse is to fix the issue is to replace the drive. Firstly can somebody please give me an absolute confirmation that this is indeed what I need to do, or is there something else I should be doing to repair this issue first? If a drive replacement is what is needed could somebody please tell me how I can go about getting my OEM software off the recovery partition and onto my new drive. I have pre-installed office suite and of course windows 7 premium which I would like to carry over to my new hdd and I was not supplied with any of the discs at the time of purchase. Thank you in advance to all who respond

1.3K Posts

Hi XPS8100kid,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

The error 200-0142 is for hard drive failure and you would need to replace the hard drive.

Since the hard drive has failed, you would not be able to access the recovery partition on it. Saved data would be lost and any softwares previously installed on your computer would have to be re-installed.

Windows 7 would require to be installed on the new hard drive. Please click on the link below for steps to re-install Windows 7.

http://dell.to/15MYHsz 

If based in the US, you can request for back-up discs by clicking on the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/Zj7oHA

Let me know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Xps8100kid

Error 2000-0142, does indeed indicate the hard drive is toast and you need to replace it.

Regards to recovering the software, if the hard drive is still usable, the easiest procedure is image the primary hard drive to the new SATA HD, for this a cloning utility like Acronis True Image 2013 is required, this can be purchased from here:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/?adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&matchtype=p&gclid=CMGJ846QkrcCFUFV4AodOX0Aow

If you buy the retail boxed version of the Seagate hard drive, a copy of Acronis should be included, this can be used only with their drives, or you can download it from Seagate website,  you will also find that other hard drive manufacturers have their own free cloning software available.

First, install the new drive as the secondary, image the exsisting hard drive to it.

After cloning, immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, until the new hard drive is working to your satisfaction.

A second SATA data cable will be required, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Bev.

1 Message

January 19th, 2014 13:00

The above forum poster is correct.  It is still very possible to create an image or clone your failing hard drive and not have to resort to a clean install, unless the failing hard drive has some serious physical damage/bad sector reads.  I have rarely had any issues cloning or imaging a failing hard drive and restoring the image to a new hard drive until I began working on a Dell XPS laptop. After several frustrating days, doing this as a side job in my spare time... I really did not want to do a clean install and lose my client's programs.

I have always been a fan of R-Drive Image and used it to start with. I received an error "Sector1 != Sector2" meaning the restore could not take place due to sector incompatibility/different sizes.

I still wasn't convinced there was no solution and read a lot about how Dell Hard Drives are almost impossible to restore from an image. Too many people were giving up on forums I read and I couldn't accept that it was 'proprietary Dell partitioning/data' that could possibly be causing such a headache as I have never ran into any troubles with R-Drive Image or Restoring an image .... EVER ... unless the Source / original hard drive was damaged to the point of no return...

I kept reading about hard drive sizes and trunked hard drives on Dell Forums and vairous others.. BUT I was trying to restore on 100% same capacity hard drives a 500GB to a 500GB with the only difference being the Source/Original HDD was a Samsung and the NEW Target drive to restore the image to was a Western Digital... WHO CARES RIGHT?? It's a brand name and shouldn't be such a headache!!

SOLUTION: So here is what I figured out. If you receive an error that states "Sector1 != Sector2" or "Drive Incompatibility" or "The Target Disk has an incompatible sector size" ... I would wager that you are connecting your New hard drive to the machine that is hosting the image file using a USB Connection. Connect your NEW Hard drive DIRECTLY to a Desktop PC using the Motherboard's Sata Port + PSU connector. THEN you will be able to restore an image or clone to your new hard drive.

Explanation? The error deals with Sector Sizie Incompatibility right?  If you have your new hard drive connected via USB -> Open up System Information in Windows and then -> Components -> Storage -> Disks : Take a look at your sector size using an external USB connection for the NEW hard drive. If you see 4096.... like I did... there is your answer! Each Sector needs to be 512 bytes! The USB Connection is the culprit and causes Windows to improperly interpret sector size. Take the USB out of the picture altogether and directly connect your hard drive to your desktop's Motherboard after powering down your Desktop. Power it back on and then take a look at System Information !! Windows showing 512 for sector size of your NEW Hard Drive? GO RESTORE YOUR IMAGE NOW that windows is not getting a false reading caused by USB misinterpreting true sector sizing. Best of Luck!

Source that helped me and may give you more insight:

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50193.aspx

No Events found!