Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2012 16:00

Did complete reinstall of XP still having problems is the hard drive bad? On boot, system file is missing or corrupt.

I was getting blue screens so I did a format and reinstalled XP. Still got blue screens and at this time I installed a new sound card. After installing the new sound card for a few days I started getting a burning smell from the psu so I took out the sound card. Blue screens came back so I deleted all the partitions made a new one and installed xp onto it. Now I'm getting Missing or Corrupt system file errors at boot and computer wont boot anymore. I don't know what the problem is I even did the Recovery console steps of deleting the boot system files and remaking them and nothing worked. 

Is it my hard drive that's messed up? maybe burning smell from psu cause it? Or is it only the psu causing the problem or both or what!? Help please

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi thisking28,

Error messages about missing or corrupt system files generally point to a bad hard drive. Run the Dell diagnostics if you want to confirm this. So you will need to replace the drive and perform a manual reinstallation of the OS. If you want to use the add-on sound card, I would install it before you reinstall the operating system.

9 Posts

April 6th, 2012 10:00

Ok thanks for the help!

No Events found!