Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 23rd, 2006 15:00

Dimension 5150 second SATA drive issue

Dear All
I own an external ESATA hardrive that I'm trying to connect to my 5150.

When connected on USB : no problem.

When connected on SATA2 :

1- If I turn on the SATA2 in the BIOS, winxp try to boot on the external hard drive, it sounds like the external SATA drive becomes prioritary although it is connected on SATA2
(My internal hard drive where win xp is installed is connected to SATA0)
No way to boot from SATA0

2- If I turn on the SATA2 in the BIOS, and I power off the external hard drive, the bios mentions there is no disk attached to SATA2 and therefore disable SATA2 and win xp does not see the external hard drive

3- If I turn off the SATA2 in the BIOS, win xp boots properly, unfortunately win xp does not see the drive.

I've tried to clear the NVRAM, it did not solve my issue !

I would like to be able to connect my ESATA drive to SATA2 and still be able to boot on SATA0 (my internal SATA drive)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jerome

5.2K Posts

November 24th, 2006 02:00

You must go to Device Manager (right click on My Computer and select Manage) and initialize the drive if it's attached to an internal SATA port. Initialization not needed if using a USB connection.

Dimension 9100
Windows XP SP2 Home
Intel 630 - 3.0 GHz P4/HT
2.0 GHz DDR 4300 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 – O’Clocked to 425/800 MHz
160 GB Samsung SATA II HD
300 GB Seagate SATA II HD
250 GB SimpleTech External HD (WD Drive)
Sony DVD-ROM, Phillips DVD +/- RW
Dell 1901 FP Monitor

November 24th, 2006 06:00

Unfortunately, the SATA disk does not appear in the device manager.
To avoid the boot conflict between sata0 & sata2, I turn off the disk while the computer boots, and the BIOS mentions there is no disk attached to sata2 and therefore disable the sata2.
If I turn on the disk after the boot, the device manager does not see the external sata drive.

5.2K Posts

November 24th, 2006 17:00

The drive needs to be on during the boot in order to be detected by the BIOS. Internal SATA is not plug-and-play like USB.

As the USB connection works, there may be a problem with the MAX4's interface. However, because the 5150 trys to boot from the external on the SATA1 port (the normal boot port for the primary port is SATA0), there may be a problem on the computer side. SATA is supposed to boot from SATA0 only.

Perhaps you should try to reset the BIOS NVRAM after setting the SATA1 port on. Search the forum for the procedure. If this doesn't work, you may have a BIOS or motherboard problem. Have you tried to install the external drive on a different computer to eliminate the  enclosure as being faulty?

Dimension 9100
Windows XP SP2 Home
Intel 630 - 3.0 GHz P4/HT
2.0 GHz DDR 4300 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 – O’Clocked to 425/800 MHz
160 GB Samsung SATA II HD
300 GB Seagate SATA II HD
250 GB SimpleTech External HD (WD Drive)
Sony DVD-ROM, Phillips DVD +/- RW
Dell 1901 FP Monitor

November 24th, 2006 19:00

Thanks for your reply.
I'll try again to clear nvram, also check the max4 connected to another computer.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

I have the same problem with my Dimension 5150 and internal WD SATA Hard Drive. If you find out how to fix it, please let me know. Thank You

No Events found!