Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

August 27th, 2007 14:00

Dimension 8400 Physical Memory Dump Problem

This is my first post so please bear with me. I have a Dimension8400.  I have re-booted several times and after very long waits my computer screen appears with this message:
STOP: c0000218 (Registry file failure)
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance. 

I use MS Windows XP Professional.  Any ideas on fixing this problem and if it will be possible to save the files on my HD?

132 Posts

August 28th, 2007 03:00

Hi Lucky,

Use windows XP disk and try to repair the operating system. You will find more help by clicking here

Happy troubleshooting.

Cheers,
Maddy

1 Message

November 10th, 2007 14:00

Hello

I am experiencing the exact same problem you described you had on 8/27/07.  Can you tell me how you were able to resolve the issue?  Also, were you able to save your files/pictures while this issue was going on?  I can't even start is safe mode

132 Posts

November 24th, 2007 15:00

HI Meridee,

Running chkdsk /r will not cause any data lose. As such there is not much of a scope left to save data unless you take your hard drive to any other computer. You will not be able to boot to safe mode or safe mode with command prompt.

Run chkdsk /r from the recovery console. Please find the instructions for the same on the scrap above. Incase chkdsk /r does not help, let me know, I shall post some advanced recovery console commands which may help you in fixing the issue.

Happy troubleshooting.
Maddy78
No Events found!