Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2017 11:00

Disconnected HDD after hitting the laptop? "No Boot Device Found"

So, I hit my computer because anger management issues, and after few seconds I got an error saying that Windows experienced an issue or something and there was a :( face. After I restarted my computer I got a message saying "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine" and while booting up I hear a weird crackling noise from the right side. Pressing a key opens me into a weird selection screen where I have my HDD (I think). I'm scared that I broke it. Any sugesstions what should I do now?

January 13th, 2017 01:00

If you are unable to boot, please remove the HDD and connect it to another device as external drive. If it is working , please copy the important files and then after try to re-instal the operating system. If  the problem is any physical damage, you need to replace the HDD

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 8th, 2017 15:00

It is very possible to destroy a spinning hard drive with not much of an impact.  Run an extended diagnsotic on the drive - F12 at powerup to get to the diagnostics menu.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2017 08:00

https://postimg.org/image/yd3jo2yst/

Here's the result.Sorry for taking so long.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Looks like the drive is toast -- you'll need to replace the drive.  

3 Posts

*** it ._. It's called League of Salt for a reason...

January 18th, 2017 19:00

It was seen in the majority of the cases that if the HDD was powerfully hit by any object, the chances of damage is maximum to read/write head and platter. In this scenario, data recovery experts will better assist you. But the cost of recovery is higher than software recovery. 

Also, agree with the views of Jobby Issac, that you should immediately disconnect the drive from your PC and try to connect with any a working system to check whether it was working properly or not. Download any reliable data recovery software in a working system with an infected drive connected as external drive. The chances are very slim, but I think, you should try it before contacting any data recovery expert. Also, if you are successful in view your hard drive after running a software on your active system, then immediately make a clone copy of your drive on any external storage device.

No Events found!