Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2008 01:00

Drive won't power up but data is good

Is there a way to get data off of a hard drive that won't power up?  When I plug it in to my computer the drive does not spin but I know that the data itself is good.  Is it possible to transmit power through the port where you connect the ide cable from your motherboard to the back of the HD?  I have seen IDE to Serial converters that have a power port on the card?  Would that work or is the whole logical drive fried?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

tbs010

You could use an external powered USB 2.0 enclosure similar to here, or an adaptor like here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

3.4K Posts

Hello,

If the drive won't spin, first make sure that the power cable going to it is working.

If the cable is good and it won't spin, the drive is dead. You can't access your data.

52 Posts

October 26th, 2008 02:00

the main question is, "Can I get the drive to power or spin without plugging in to its power port?"

52 Posts

October 26th, 2008 02:00

I have tried something similar to the adaptor that you were talking about.  But mine has a power cord just like the one coming from the power supply in my pc and it wouldn't power on the drive either.  How does the enclosure connect to an internal IDE HD?  Do you need to plug both power and the IDE in or is it differnet?  Thanks so much!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 26th, 2008 04:00

tbs010

The IDE hard drive fits inside the enclosure and connects to a USB port, the enclosure has it's own power source for the HD.

More info, here.

Note: If a hard drive will not spin, then it's toast.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

3.4K Posts

October 26th, 2008 12:00

@tbs010 wrote:
the main question is, "Can I get the drive to power or spin without plugging in to its power port?"

Hello again,

Sorry, no.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 26th, 2008 15:00

While there's nothing you can do yourself in this case, it is still likely possible to retrieve the data by employing a data recovery service.  You'll have to decide whether the cost - which can run well into a few thousand dollars - is worth the data retreival.

Ontrack and Drive Savers are two companies with excellent track records at data recovery.

No Events found!