Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 28th, 2008 20:00

Empty optical drive ejects randomly (every 2-15 mins)

I'm having a problem with my recently purchased Studio 1535 laptop....

Specs:

Vista Home Premium (SP 1) (32-bit)

Intel Core2Duo T5750 (2GHz)

4Gb RAM

The problem is that every now and then I hear the optical drive make an eject sound, even though there is no disc in it. It doesn't seem to happen when a disc is inside ...I can play CD albums without them ejecting mid play.

I don't think the behaviour is a serious problem (the noise that the drive makes sounds more or less like a normal eject mechanism). However, it's quite annoying and disconcerting, and I don't think it's 'normal' because we have another Studio 1535 (exactly the same specs) that doesn't behave like this.

If anyone can help me rectify this behaviour I'd be extremely thankful!

Thanks,

Marc

Message Edited by RelicDelic on 09-06-2008 11:43 AM

11 Posts

September 1st, 2008 09:00

Yes, i got just the same problem on my Inspiron 1525.

It makes sense that the OS accesses the DVD-drive when booting, logging on, etc., but it also checks the drive randomly about every 15 mins. About every second time, it gets ejected, too. 

Thanks to that I couldn't burn a single DVD till now, VERY annoying :smileymad:

11 Posts

September 20th, 2008 13:00

Well on my Inspiron 1525 updating the drive's firmware helped. Was available at the Dell website in my case.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2008 13:00

Had anyone found a solution to this issue? My fiance just received this laptop, and loves everything about it....

....except for this constant 'attempts' to eject.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance,

Freehb

October 9th, 2008 12:00

Count me in also. I get the ghostly ejects throughout the day but it's really bad when I resume from hibernate. Then I get 6-8 eject attempts in a row, really annoying...

I have a Studio 15 (the new one with the touch sensitive buttons)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 9th, 2008 15:00

I have heard that disabling the Flash Cache Module in the BIOS fixes this issue. Please try it and post back how it goes.

1. enter setup (BIOS) by hitting F2 at power up.
  2. navigate to Device Info under the System Info section.
  3. press enter, and change the Flash Cache Module to disabled.
  4. reboot.
  5. shut down, pull the battery and ac adapter, press the power button.
  6. put battery and ac adapter back and reboot.
  7. let us know how it goes.
Message Edited by DELL-Bill B on 10-09-2008 11:49 AM

October 9th, 2008 17:00

Thanks Bill, I have jsut implemented your fix. I'll give it a few days to see if has any effect and will report back.

October 13th, 2008 11:00

Ok, I just sat through 7 eject attempts in a row. It doesn't look like the fix had any effect.

Just to clarify my exact issue, the eject light comes on during the Dell splash screen after resume and stays on until Vista loads, the eject attempts come around the time the vista login screen displays, they continue until the light goes out.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 14th, 2008 20:00

Hmm. OK. Let's update our BIOS's  and see what happens.

October 14th, 2008 23:00

Went through that twice with Dell support last week...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2008 19:00

Sounds like you might need a replacement drive. I would contact tech support and let them know all the steps you have tried.

October 21st, 2008 05:00

first try upgrading the firmware on the drive. this is different than the drivers or the bios version. if that does not work, try this and let me know... i have heard of this on some older laptops... it is worth a shot in the dark. try both separately so we know what worked....

--Restore Setup Defaults
Follow the appropriate steps below for your system:
1. Restart your computer.
2. At the first text on the screen or immediately after the Dell logo appears,
press the key every three seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.
3. When the System Setup screen appears, press + keys at the same
time to resotre the defaults. (DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU HAVE A CUSTOMIZED BIOS, MAY HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT AGIAN - not a big deal)
4. Press the key.
5. Press the key to save changes and exit.
Your computer restarts.

--check if the drive ejects in bios.

To enter into Bios please perform the following.

Restart the system.
Keep tapping the F2 as soon as you see the initial dell logo key to Enters
System Setup menu (i.e. the bios screen)

2.Press the eject button on the front of the CD drive.

3. Restart and try it out.

October 21st, 2008 10:00

Ok, I reset the bios and I still get the same behavior. Actually, I'm now getting eject attempts when I boot from cold (not just hibernate.) I also got eject attempts while still in bios so I think that it eliminates the O/S and is strictly a hardware/firmware issue.

October 21st, 2008 13:00

Ok, that makes me feel better, I spoke to Dell this morning and they are also replacing my "hinge cover." I'll let you know if it resolves the issue for me too. Hopefully this helps others with the same issue.

2 Posts

I finally got this solved, after too many phone calls, and too many visits from Dell's contracted repair company.

In the end, the issue was in the board that controls the DVD drive. We ended up getting one shipped from Dell, taking apart the laptop, and replacing it. 

The board I'm talking about is the one right under the glowing eject button, etc. above the keyboard to the right. We had a faulty board, that was sending the eject command repeatedly. 

Hope this helps people!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thanks for posting that, Freehb. Looks like if normal troubleshooting fails to resolve the problem, tech support will replace your center hinge cover.
No Events found!