Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2008 15:00

Error Code 0142

Well yesterday i had a nice pretty blue screen pop up on me and told me that there was an error and that it was goin to shut down.  Well that is fine and all so i restarted it, NOTHING! It will not start up again. I tried restoring it, but it will not finish the instilation. When i talked to dell support they told me to do a diagnostic check. Thus the error code 0142. Does anyone know what i can do to fix my computer short of sending it in to get fixed. I also wanted to know what is the meaning of the code?  If anyone can answer this for me before wednesday i would be so happy.                              - Thank You

6.4K Posts

November 8th, 2008 19:00

That error is normally associated with a bad hard drive.  If you are comfortable replacing the hardware and have the Dell installation disks for your OS you can do it yourself.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 25th, 2010 16:00

Possibly.  Remove the hard drive, mount it into a 2.5" external drive case ($10-20;  newegg.com has many) and attach it to a working system by USB.  You may be able to recover some or all of your files.

1 Message

January 25th, 2010 16:00

I had the same problem just happen with my computer.  Is there ANY way to recover the lost files before restoring the OS?  THANK YOU :)

1 Message

March 22nd, 2010 14:00

I just had the same problem on a Dell laptop that was out of warranty.  I bought another hard drive (Western Digital 320GB for $49 from NewEgg.com) and was able to copy the old hard drive over to the new hard drive and retain all my files.  The new hard drive booted fine the first time.  I used Acronis software to clone the hard drive using an external dual hard drive dock.  Total cost for the new hard drive and dock was about $100.

No Events found!