Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 12th, 2008 16:00

Error code 10 Device cannot start

Hi...I just got an insprion 530 desktop with windows vista and TSSTCorp DVD +- RW TS-H653B ATA drive  in November and it has been working fine. One day I go to play a CD and realize there is no CD drive in my comp. So I go to device manager and there is a yellow exclamation point next to it..I click for more info and it says error code 10 device cannot start. This happened twice.The first time I was able to do a system restore to back in April, and the CD drive was fine again, but this time..I waited too long - The restore point where it worked is no longer available...I am thinking maybe a windows update? - I have those set to auto install at 3am I dunno what else it could be.

here is what I have tried:

-uninstalling driver and restarting computer does not work..it tries to install the driver again but fails

-booting into safe mode- does the same thing

-doing a clean boot (disable all startup items and non-microsoft services) same thing happens

bios detects the drive fine

it passes all tests in the dell diagnostics utility

shows up in device manager w/ error code 10

does not show in my computer

what's the deal here? I tried going on dells driver DL site for my model, but there are no driver updates, only firmware updates, I tried dlding the firmware update, but when I run it it says it can't detect the drive!

what do I do..I have a practically new computer that cannot use the CD drive until this is fixed! Help!

31 Posts

May 12th, 2008 16:00

nvm...I followed the directions in this post http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=143451&query.id=21637 and it solved my problem!

did not know that error code 10 and error code 39 were the same...thanks

8 Posts

December 29th, 2008 01:00

Hi cduval04,

Just wanted to let you know you guided me to the answer I needed to fix my problem.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post your fix.

C

4.6K Posts

December 29th, 2008 03:00

I followed the directions in this post http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=143451&query.id=21637 and it solved my problem!

I don't know if it originally linked to it, but that link is (now?) pointing to the forums front page - rather than a specific thread?

It would be beneficial to anyone else with code 10/code 39 errors who search the forums, if you could edit your post, and change the URL to the thread in which you found the solution :emotion-55:

14 Posts

December 29th, 2008 03:00

Code 10 is Code Blue. The drive is dead (probably the lens). Both my drives went out thusly, but only the DVD function. Both still will do CDs. Nevertheless, I bought an external DVD writer.

No Events found!