Highlighted
Maya2013
Copper

Error code: 2000-0146

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a lap top XPS  M1530  Bios System A09, when I switch it on I receive : Windows can not repair this computer automatically, unspecified changes to system configuration caused the , error code 0x490.

When I use Pre-Boot system Assessment(PSA) , I get :

error code: 0146

Msg: Error code: 2000-0146

Msg: Hard drive 1: Self test log contains previous e-mail.

Could anyone help me, Thanks a lot

Janet

0 Kudos
34 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: Error code: 2000-0146

Jump to solution

You need a new, 2.5", 9.5 mm SATA notebook hard drive.  Replace the failed drive.  Then you will need to reload the operating system, applications, and restore  your data from  your backups.

0 Kudos
Maya2013
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, do you think if I format the hard drive  the problem would be removed

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Jump to solution

No - the drive has a hardware problem.  Yes, you might squeak a few more hours or days out by reloading after reformatting - but is it worth doing that knowing how many hours it takes -- and that the drive is on its way out, so you'll have to do it all over again soon with a new drive, anyway?

0 Kudos
Maya2013
Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Maya2013,

Welcome to Dell Community.

Let me first appreciate the fact that you have tried the steps yourself to isolate the problem.

Error code: 2000-0146 (DST Log contains previous errors) refers to previous errors in the hard drive which might not really be a hardware failure. In order to confirm this, I recommend you to run a custom test on the Hard drive which takes longer time than the Pre-boot System Assessment which you have already performed on the computer but it will give the accurate result.

Once the Pre-boot System Assessment is completed, the computer will give you an option to “Run the remaining memory test”, please select “No”.  Then the computer will launch the 32-bit Diagnostics from the utility partition (if available).

After the diagnostics is launched, in the main menu, please click on “Custom Test”, then select the “Hard drive” and click on “Run Tests”. If the test completes without any error then the hard drive is fine and PC Restore can be performed to restore the computer back to the factory condition (which will result in data loss).

Please refer to the following article for more information on running the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility: http://dell.to/MNJv4B

If you have any further questions feel free to reply.

Thanks & Regards
Kalyan S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Janet only thing to do is to adapt the system windows xp, all those that have the windows vista will probemi of the genre, or ask the drive to restart interlock diagniostica menu of your PC. in windows vista lacks many qualities, even in windows 7 to windows 8 and maybe reeds. indotazione to get all the media driver at the time of purchase is your right.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
maury11215
Bronze

Jump to solution

Kalyan--hi.

I've posted this same issue in the Desktop Forum under "Drive Self-Test (DST) log contains previous error(s)".

After the 2000-0146 (Drive Self Test) code occurs, you don't have any option to continue running the PSA, only to reboot the system. Moreover, I have run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics from a CD and the Hard drive tests all pass without any error (it is a new drive).

When you run PSA with no drives present, it gives a different code saying No Hard Drive Found or something, but after connecting the drive, you still see 2000-0146.

But-- even after clearing the CMOS memory, I am still getting the 2000-0146 code when I run PSA assessment. Can you think of any other way to clear that out? Where is that being saved? It doesn't seem like that should be happening.

-Maury

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Jump to solution

2000-0146 (Drive Self Test) can also occur if you have not provided a writeable Disc to check the optical drive.

Run the LONG Test on Just the hard drive.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/w/desktop/3624.beep-codes-and-psa-diagnostic-chart.aspx

It means the log has Previous Errors.

Hard Drive

Remove and reinstall the Hard Drive for the error codes:

• 1000-0141
  • 2000-0141
  • 1000-0142
  • 2000-0142
  • 1000-0143
  • 2000-0143
  • 1000-0144
  • 2000-0144
  • 1000-0145
  • 2000-0145
  • 1000-0146
  • 2000-0146
  • 2000-0151

Please see the Service manual for instructions on how to remove and replace the Hard Drive. Be sure to remove and reinstall the cables for the hard drive if you are on a Desktop Computer.

After reinstalling the hard drive re-run the diagnostics if you receive the same error code

Contact Us.

RE Run the Drive Self Test (DST) from the Utility Partition also

known as the 32 bit diagnostics to determine if the previous error has been corrected.

If the DST from the Utility Partition does not indicate a failure of the drive,

we consider the error to have been corrected and the drive does not need to be replaced.

• 1000-0146
  • 2000-0146

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What I dont get is how with the same error code, you guys that work for Dell, keep providing WAY different answers.

0 Kudos