When you startet your ranting I was releaved. I tought finnally someone that looks further then the obvious.
But then you typed, boot your system in safe mode, I was dissapointed again.
The harddisk failes so how to run the system?
Altough the other answers didn't give solutions either I would still like to hear some expert advise.
I got the same error code, I run the test after the system failed to start.
Problem is, I took out the HD, plugged it in an extern case and it was working fine on another system.
Put it back in the original system and the same error code, while In BIOS it shows the harddisk.
What options I have more?
I hope all of you found a source to fix this error message of 2000-0146.
Like all of you, I came to this support page looking for a solution. I tried many different things and like most they did not work. So I decided to swap a hard drive to see if that would work. Well I took the hard drive out and found another one but I could not get the screws off the other one.
So I recall someone saying to try restarting the laptop with no hard drive installed and it will reset itself.
I reinstalled the old hard drive that was giving me the problem and used a "Reinstallation DVD/CD Wndows 7 from Dell" to boot up.
1) Remove AC cord and remove the battery before removing the hard drive.
2) Remove the hard drive carefully.
3) Plug the AC cord and try to start up the laptop with the Reinstall Windows 7 CD. (It won't let you do much as it does not recognize a hard drive.)
4) Remove the AC cord/remove battery and reinstall the hard drive.
5) Restart and press F12 to boot up to CD. Use the Reinstall Windows 7 CD as a boot up and you can now format the hard drive and install fresh Windows 7.
Good luck to you!
system : Inspiron N5010, i3, M350 ; Fixed HDD : Samsung HM321HI (pre installed when i bought the laptop)
Initial error : A DISK READ ERROR OCCURED, PRESS ** TO RESTART.
SO, After going through all the mentioned steps carefully , i got error code 0146 (2000-0146) & I am finally stuck at
Pre-boot System Assessment Complete. No Diagnostic Utility Partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system.
1. NO utilities CD or any other CD came with my system.
2. After removing the existing HDD, will i be able to get the data from it through ext. modes ?
3. If i have to replace the HDD, can you please suggest me the HDDs that i can replace it with ?
dell inspiron n4030 when show 2000:0146 error appears,then I press no but show the notification is reboot computer.I lost my resource DVD .Can you suggest now what I do.
my mail ID : <Email id removed>