Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 19th, 2017 01:00

External enclosure for SSD (PM951, M2)

Hi All, 

I've extracted the SSD from my XPS 15 and i'm trying to find an external enclosure for it so i can carry it around like an external HD. I've been to a lot of computer shops around London and nobody seems to stock an enclosure that fits. 

The SSD h/w specifications are: 256GB PCIe,Samsung PM951, M2, Product Number MZVLV256HCHP. I've found a page with more details of the specs here

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me find an enclosure online that fits. I found this, but it says it's not PCIe compatible, and i'm skeptical of buying without a second opinion. 

Thanks, 

Seng 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 19th, 2017 07:00

If the system(s) you intend to use have thunderbolt ports, you can mount the drive on a PCIe card that has M.2 NVMe support and into this:

www.sonnettech.com/.../echoexpressseltb3.html

If you're looking for NVMe to USB -- I think you're out of luck;  all the USB enclosures support SATA drives - not NVMe.

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 12:00

Thanks ejn63. Are there cheaper options? I was expecting it to be as simple as connecting to an enclosure and plugging that into a laptop the same way your would as if it was an HDD, so I didn't budget for this.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 27th, 2017 17:00

Anything cheaper and you may as well use the NVMe drive internally and buy a SATA SSD to use externally -- anything USB or eSATA will simply let the NVMe bandwidth go to waste.

No Events found!