Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2009 17:00

Format Flash Drive

I have Dell Dimension 2400 with XP. I bought a 64gb flash drive from ebay and it turns out it was from China. When I first pluged it in it worked Ok. That is you could move things to and from the hard drive by dragging and dropping or  copy and paste. I kept getting a message to format the Flash drive. Finally I did and I was told that it could complete the format. I have tried all of the disk managment things in XP and a couple of outside programs. If I look at properties it now says 0 bytes instead of 64gb. Any ideas on how to format?

26 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 17:00

Hello lej2050,

I did a quick search and found this website -----> Online Tech Tips

Hope this helps.

Peace.

24 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 06:00

Thanks agent 99, I have tried that approach but with no sucess.

26 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 20:00

Hmmmmmm.

Maybe try the thumb drive manufacture's website and see if they have a special utility for that unit. Or try using a friends or family members computer that has Vista or Win7 installed. Or see if someone you know has an old thumb drive they don't use any more try formatting that unit on your system. Last thought, I seem to recall reading that some older( as in more than years old) Bios setups had problems with USB drives over a certain size....... Do a google search with the model/product ID of your Bios chip.

Peace.

4.6K Posts

December 4th, 2009 09:00

Just another thought:  Have you updated XP with the latest service pack (SP3)?

If you have... the (excellent) advice in the post above this one is definitely the best way to try and narrow down the cause of the problem :emotion-5:

No Events found!