Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2008 15:00

GX260 OPtiplex very basic question about CD drive

This CD drive may not be the original Dell one as the Diagnostics says 'Samsung - Diagnostics not supported'.  I have never before tried to write to a CD but I just tried copying a bunch of MP3 files that were clogging up my hard drive to CD. Windows says 'please enter a CD in the drive' the only option being Cancel. I enter a CD in the drive, close the drive door and the message stays there: 'please enter a CD in the drive'. My question is what does this mean. I hear a whirring and the CD drive light goes on and off, then the whirring stops and the light goes out and then ....nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Please help. As far as I know the CD drive is ok as I am able to read from the drive.

4.4K Posts

December 12th, 2008 18:00

It would help to know the model number.  Presuming XP, double-click My Computer, then right click the drive, click properties, then hardware.  What is your drive model number?  Also, can your drive read from CD's? 

4 Posts

December 24th, 2008 11:00

Model is Samsung SN-124 DVD/CD-Rom
Device-Status says 'working properly'. It will play an audio CD ok and will read a program CD ok.
Win XP Pro operating system
I tried the troubleshooter but there was no option for my particular problem.

4.4K Posts

December 24th, 2008 19:00

This CD drive can only read CD's, not write to CD's.  It is not a burner and cannot read or write dvd's either.   A google search for Samsung SN 124 will confirm.

No Events found!