Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2015 12:00

HDD Not Formatting Correctly

Hello everyone, I just added a new SSD to my PC and added Windows 10 to it. I have that running perfectly but my orginal HDD, (ST31000524AS) which came in my XPS 8300 when I bought it a few years, is not formatting right.

Ive had it stuck on 100% formatting and in Disk Management it shows the HDD as two seperate volumes (since the formatting started) with no drive letter and on of the shows a RAW file system and the second shows no file system but it also says "Formatting : (100%).

I plan on leaving the PC on for the rest of the day but is there anything else I can do?

This drive was the original OS drive with 4 partitions on it from Dell. Which included the Recovery which I also added to the OS partition to format. 

14 Posts

June 9th, 2015 06:00

All the partitions were deleted and I did make a new one and format it. It was weird. It was stuck on 100% and someone from Toms Hardware suggested a reboot. Once the reboot was finished the drive was formatted. I assigned the letter drive and everything was set. Thanks though!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 8th, 2015 17:00

Hi Cmcigas,

Are you trying to wipe the old drive completely? If so, first delete all partitions, then create a single new partition and format.

If you are trying to wipe the drive to prevent access to file remnants, then go get a utility for that purpose, such as Killdisk.

No Events found!