Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2011 11:00

HL-DT-ST DVD+-rw gt10n

Hi, I hope someone here can help me. I was trying to play a DVD on my laptop (Inspiron 1545 originaly on vista now running Windows 7 64bit ) and I found out that the driver for the dvd HL-DT-ST DVD+-rw gt10n was either missing or not working properly (it had an exclamation mark next to it in the device manager window).

While trying to update it I mistankenly disabled it instead and now is completely gone from the device manager list. Is there anyway to re-install it and then find the updated device driver?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 12th, 2011 15:00

Hi Rcampuzano,

Please go to the link below and try the Microsoft CD/DVD fix. That should fix this problem.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2011 20:00

It worked, thanks a million! 

rc

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 12th, 2011 12:00

The drivers for DVD drives are included with Windows.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 13th, 2011 07:00

Excellent! Good to hear.

12 Posts

January 18th, 2012 13:00

Hi Osprey4,

I'm having a similar problem.  I received critical windows patches and now I can't read or burn anything on my drive (HL-DT-ST DVD+_RW GT10N).  I have a Dell 1750.  I experienced the problem last Saturday and recovered to 1/6 before critical windows patches were installed.

This recovery fixed my issue.  However, since then, the same (I'm assuming) windows patches have been installed and now I can't read or write anything to the DVD drive.  The only way I can do this is to restart and then it will recognize the DVD disk.

Do I need an updated driver assuming that the latest windows patch knocked out the prior driver?

Please help.

Thanks,

Duane.

12 Posts

January 18th, 2012 20:00

Hi Osprey4,

Btw, the MS CD/DVD fix couldn't fix it.  It was on same dialogue box for 7 hours when I closed it down.  It said something like "... this could take a few minutes if the drive is open."

Also, when I try to click properties on the DVD drive from the device manager, it just clocks.  The only time this works is if I reboot.  Subsequent loading of DVDs results in this issue.

Thanks for your help,

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 20th, 2012 05:00

Duane,

Do you have an Inspiron 1750? What's your OS? Did you try the manual registry edit procedure?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Go here and find the section Let me fix it myself.

This will not necessarily fix your problem.

12 Posts

Hi Osprey4,

Yes, I have a Dell Inspiron 1750 with Windows 7.  No, I haven't tried the manual registry edit procedure.  How is that accomplished?

Thanks for your help,

Duane.

12 Posts

January 20th, 2012 09:00

Thanks Osprey4.  Unfortunately, I don't have any labels such as "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters" under the registry entry that was mentioned.

Are there other solutions?

I'm just taken aback that MS Critical Updates would do this to my DVD drive.  This shouldn't happen.

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 20th, 2012 11:00

Ok, I want you to start a new thread, and include your model and OS, and a description of exactly what the drive can and cannot do.

And do not be surprised by anything MS updates might do.

1 Message

January 20th, 2012 11:00

I had the exact problem and went to the link you suggested and solved my problem. FYI:  I called a computer repair company and they said I needed  a new hard drive to solve this problem. Another company said my external drive was bad................ So thanks again, problem solved!! 

12 Posts

January 20th, 2012 13:00

Osprey4 - I started a new thread entitled, "Dell Inspiron 1750, Windows 7: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT10N is not working after MS Critical Updates."

Will you continue to help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 16:00

Duane,

I posted a response.

12 Posts

January 24th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Osprey4.  I replied.  Talk to you on the other side.

Thank you so much,

Duane.

No Events found!